Chapter Six

(NOT EDITED)

"Beatrice?" Ms Caldwell asked. Beatrice turned from the wall to her. "This has been going on for two days now. You've been staring off into space. What's going on?"

"Nothing is going on," Beatrice murmured as she began sweeping the floor.

"Is it Mr Freeman's nephew?" Beatrice dropped her broom in shock.

"Of course not," she protested.

"You dropped your broom." Beatrice picked it up.

"It's not him," she whispered. "It's the dance tomorrow. I'm stressed about the manor looking spotless. That's all," Beatrice lied, even though she hated doing it.

"You're lying. You do like him."

"I do not!" Beatrice protested. Ms Caldwell just laughed.

****

Beatrice could feel the smoke in her lungs. She choked on it, coughing as she tried to cover her mouth. As she looked around, she realized she remembered the place. The building was small with brown wood floors and many chairs in every corner, meaning they had many people living there. Something about it smelt farmillar.

Then she saw it. On the wall, there was a painting of a woman Beatrice recognized. The woman was fairly young with bright green eyes and blonde hair, but she stared at the woman's face. It looked like her's. That smile she remembered was her mother's. Her mother. Beatrice gasped. She remembered something else. The painting was a wedding present from her father. It was in her house. She realized where she was; she was in the memory of losing her parents.

Suddenly, Beatrice saw a young girl with strawberry locks. Herself. She watched her five years old self race out of the burning building, and she followed. She watched young Beatrice open the back door, but suddenly, everything went black...

****

Beatrice awoke with a start. She still felt the smoke in her throat. She looked around to see her bedroom, in Freeman Manor. She relaxed and lay her head back on the pillow, but she couldn't fall back asleep for a few hours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, readers! I really hope you like this book. The idea just came to me yesterday, and I had to share it. So vote, share, and I don't know... I'm awful at author's notes. If anyone has any questions about myself or this story, you an ask it in the comments or in my book Ask Me. 

Thanks so much,                                                                                                                                                                                  -Keilah