Chapter Eight

(NOT EDITED)

It was strange that a masquerade party was held in the spring, but it was tradition for Freemans. Two centuries ago, the man who lived in lived in the manor-Mr Freeman's great-great-great-great grandfather-thought it would change things up a bit. It did since that's where he met the woman who became his wife and was made a family tradition.

Beatrice hid on the side of the building, her breathe uneven. She only ever seen the parties from a distance, but now she was going to be apart of it. Taking a deep breath, she strolled out and towards the stairs. She remembered walking up them many before, but this time was different. Now she was a guest, and she would be the one enjoying herself.

When she saw the announcer, she quickly made up a name. She couldn't use her real name, or she'd be sent away. All she could do is make one up. She remembered there was a couple who was one of Mr Freeman's closest friends, Mr and Mrs Dupont, who had many children of different ages. There were so many children, everyone lost count of them and forgot their names. She would have to pretend to be one of them.

"Lady Eleanor Dupont," Beatrice whispered to him.

"Lady Eleanor Dupont," he announced. Beatrice stepped down the stairs and towards the beautiful marble floor. Her heart was racing deep in her chest, so fast she thought she would faint, except she didn't and her heeled shoes carried her down the stairs.

****

Adam stood in the back of the room. He didn't care for parties, thinking it was foolish to throw them. They were expensive and foolish.

Hearing a name brought his attention to the grand staircase. The room was already filled and there was a name announced in a few minutes. "Lady Eleanor Dupont," the announcer announced. Even from a distance and the fact that was was wearing a mask, he knew who that was. Beatrice.

He watched her stand on the opposite side of the room, her blue eyes taking in the whole room all at once. Adam began inching his way over towards her, but his uncle got to her first.

"Eleanor Dupont, I don't recall ever seeing you before. Where are your parents? I haven't seen them yet tonight," Mr Freeman asked.

Beatrice began shaking, even Adam could see that from where he was standing. "I went alone tonight, I'm not sure where they are at the moment. You probably didn't, Mr Freeman, I usually stay away from everyone."

Mr Freeman smiled. "Very polite, I like that about you."

"Excuse me," Beatrice whispered awkwardly, before rushing towards the door. She felt scared that he would find out who she really was, so she ran.

Adam followed her.