Chapter Four

(NOT EDITED)

Adam stared out of the window of the carriage. He felt confined in the box with wheels with the rest of world around it. For days, he been locked in the 'cage', as he called it, and was looking forward to getting out. So, when the carriage stopped, he raced out.

He felt the spring breeze upon his face. The sun was shining down on the Earth below, giving a world a golden glow. Adam could see an open field covered in fresh green grass and beside it sat a house, a large one. It appeared as if it was made gold and just a smaller version of a castle. There were three long rows of windows and a large balcony was on the top of the building.

In front of the the doors, on the top step, stood a thin girl in a dress that matched her sparkling blue eyes. Her long strawberry blonde waves came to lay on her shoulders and reached her waist. She held her hands at her lap and smiled sweetly at Adam, before stepping carefully down each step. Adam just stared at her. Even though she didn't wear any makeup or silk, he thought she was the most beautiful girl he ever seen.

"You must be Mr Freeman's nephew," she said, her voice soft.

"Yes," he answered. "And you are?"

"Beatrice, sir," the girl answered as she reached the last step and touched the ground. That's when Adam realized how short she was. She was a few inches shorter than most her age, and the top of her head barely reached Adam's shoulder. Then, she curtsied, an elegant one that showed her gracefulness.

"Please call me Adam." Beatrice looked up at him with such adoration Adam had to smile at her. Then she looked down.

"We should go inside," Beatrice murmured and made her way towards the door. Adam followed.

When they stepped inside the manor, Beatrice and Adam were greeted by a bucket... Of water...