Chapter Seven

(NOT EDITED)

Beatrice was woken by the morning light. The moment she opened her eyes, she began freaking out. "Oh, no!" she screamed. She knew she was supposed to be up hours ago, so her mind went franic. Quickly, she pulled her uniform over she nightgown and pulled her knotted hair up in a messy bun. Then, she left.

She raced down the hall, not fully paying attention to where she was going and was soon on the ground, after slamming into someone. "I'm so sorry," came a familiar voice. Beatrice looked up to see Adam, his beautiful hazel eyes on her face. "Let me help you up," he said, showing her his hand. For a moment, Beatrice just sat on the floor, her cheeks red, but then she took Adam's hand.

Her hand was so small that his hand enveloped her own. She felt tingles run through her fingers and up her arms, nice tigles. Tingles that made you not want to leave. She could have held his hand forever, but it was cut short.

"Are you to the dance tonight?" he asked. Beatrice shook her head. She couldn't go. Even if she had apportate attire, she had to work that night and maids weren't allowed.

"I can't," Beatrice whispered.

Adam's smile fell from his face. "Oh..." he murmured sadly. "I hoped to see you."

"Maybe another time," Beatrice said, even though she knew there wouldn't be one.

"Yes. Hope to see you soon," he smiled, before taking her hand to lightly kiss the back of it. Even though it was just what all gentlemen did, Beatrice blushed. No one had ever kissed her, at least that she remembered, even if it was just one on the hand. "Goodbye, Bea. Can I call you that?"

Beatrice smiled and waved, unable to create words with her tongue. She liked the sound of that, even if she didn't say it outloud. "Goodbye then, Bea." Then he walked down the hall. Beatrice watched him turn down into the next hall, before returning to her search to find Ms Caldwell.

She found Ms Caldwell in the dining room. The plump woman was dusting the curtains, something that usually wasn't done unless there was a special occasion. "You're finally up," she said.

"I'm sorry, Ms Caldwell," Beatrice sighed. "I was kept up late last night."

"By you dreaming about Mr Freeman's nephew?"

"No!" Beatrice protested. "It was a nightmare, about the fire that killed my parents."

"Oh," Ms Caldwell said, handing Beatrice the duster. "It's alright. It's over now."

"I know."

****

After a long hours of cleaning, Beatrice was told by the head maid to wear her best clothes and clean up. So, she went to her room and was very surprised what she saw on her bed. On her bed lay a beautiful blue gown with tiny diamonds woven into the fabric to make it sparkle. Beatrice couldn't believe her eyes.

"Surprise!" Ms Caldwell said, who stood on the other side of the bed. "Do you like it?"

"What?" Beatrice whispered, speechless.

"I got you a gown, for tonight," Ms Caldwell answered.

"But I have to work tonight," Beatrice murmured.

"I don't," Ms Caldwell said. "I'll take your work for tonight. Go out there." She handed Beatrice a mask that matched her gown. Beatrice wrapped her arms around Ms Caldwell.

"Thank you," she murmured.

"Just go," Ms Caldwell said as she pulled away, before walking out the door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, readers. I just wanted to ask you about what you think of this story. Do you like it? I just would love the freed back. Thanks.                                                    

                            -Keilah

                                        P.S: Sorry everyone, but I may not be able to update in a while. My birthday is today, and I have my party coming up, so I have to work on planning, etc. I truly am sorry. Please forgive me.