Chapter 9: Help

I wake up and feel a sticky film across my skin. I rub my eyes just to find I fell asleep in a flower patch.
"When did i get here?" I stood to my feet and sighed. I heard a muffled scream from the neighboring patch. I ran to the other patch and nothing seemed to be there.

I hand thrust out of the wildly grown flowers. I stumble back and someone begins to speak, "MARTHA HELP ME!" Grant's face emerges from the sifted soil. His face is bloody and dirty.
"What, what is this?" I scoot back on my butt in a hurry to get away.
"Martha, its me, Grant. Do you know me? Stop trying to get away," I kick dirt in his direction.
"No, you aren't Grant. You aren't the Grant I know," I get up and begin to run, but a rotted hand came up and grabbed my ankle.
"If you wont help me; Im taking you with me," His eyes light up red and his rotted face disappears into the grave. The arm pulls on me and I fall over. I struggle to keep my grip on the soil and I'm pulled under. "Martha wake up..."

I wake up in a panicked fit. And I'm sweating. There is warmth surrounding me and I sink into the security.
"You were panicking and I didn't know what to do. You were screaming," I was so busy with the security of his arms that I didn't even bother to see who it was.

It was Grant. He sniffled and I realized he was crying. I looked up. The bandage over his eye was bloody once more.
"Stop crying," I said softly, "It was just a nightmare," I wiped the tears from his good eye.
"I, was scared, for you," He pushed the hair out of my face.
"Lets get that bandage changed," I grabbed the wrap next to his bed.
"Where did I fall asleep?" I said as I removed the bandage.
"Well you fell asleep out on the field, but I felt it unsafe for you to be out there. I carried you back in and slept with you in the generals tent.

I smiled, "Oh! Your eye is healing nice," I put ointment on the swollen stitched eye.
"Thank you," he said.
"For what?" I wrapped the eye in gauze and tucked in the tail.
"For doing things like this and helping me realize that I'm good for other things than a war general," I had to wipe his eye if tears once again. He moved the hair out of my face and kissed me. I ran my hair through his hair and kissed him back. His lips may have tasted faintly of blood, but I love him and that is all that matters right now.

I was woken up by Grant and a quick shove of my clothes I got up and went into the separate changing room.
"I want to be a gunsmith," he said with a buckle of his shoe.
"A gunsmith?" I pulled on my top.
"Yeah! I mean, I know how to dismantle and shoot them and I learned gunsmithing before I became a general. Do you think that would be nice?" I pulled on my overcoat.
"Yeah, I mean, you can do anything with a little elbow grease," I pulled on my pants and buckled the belt tight.
"Thanks, Martha," He grabbed his gun and loaded it up.
"You're welcome," I came out of the corner and picked up a worn boot. He placed a tender kiss on my forehead as I put on my boots. The buckles rattle and clack.
"Alright. Lets go," I pick up my loaded gun (thanks to Grant) and we head out to the battlefield.

A bullet whipped by and pierced my ear, just enough to nick the top.

                            ⚜⚜⚜

Sorry! I kept everyone waiting WAY too long. I forgot about the book, then got really busy,and then family came in town! I had ZERO time to write and I had to think of the plot for this chapter (>.<') (>.<') I will try and update more frequently.

If you discover a typo or grammar mistake feel free to correct me.

Comments/questions/concerns/corrections?

❤️Kat King