Chapter 3: The Ride

The woods were cold and dark. My hand was a silhouette in front of my face. I sat silently on the cold damp floor. A large willow tree hung overhead. Kiwi sat next to me under the vines and leaves.

The news was devastating. I couldn't process it correctly, so i was left there, alone, staring blankly into the darkness. Small patches of sunlight shone through the thick canopy lighting my surroundings.

I had sat there for half an hour or more. I decided it was time to go home. I helped Kiwi to his feet and slowly walked to the square.

People were everywhere. My dirt-covered dress stood out among the nicely dressed men and women in the square. I walk slowly to the pump in the middle. There were people lined up in front of the pump, all had one or more buckets. When i got to the pump i was torn away mid-drink by Jack.
"Its noon," he said to me. I looked up at him and the glare from the sun was so intense i couldn't see his face well.
"Alright," my voice was hoarse. I hadn't said a word in some time.

I climbed on Kiwi slowly and mounted the horse. Men and women gathered around us. Small children pushed their way to the front of the crowd. Some of Jacks friends pushed people back to make a racing track for us. I took a second to adjust to the harsh sun.

"Alright," someone said, "All the way around the block and back to start. No pushing or blocking pathways," the man put a coal line on the floor.

"ON YOUR MARK!" Someone yelled.
"GET SET!" Another screamed.
"GO!" Everyone yelled and we were off. Jack took an early lead. I knew his horse would tire at that speed.

I maintained a steady pace. I always kept Jack in view. Two turns and we were a little more than half way around the block. I pushed Kiwi faster and faster till i was next to Jack. I gave him a small smile and sped off as his horse tired. I turned another corner and had the finish in view.

I went faster and faster until i was well past the finish. Jack stopped right behind me and i knew i won. Everyone was cheering and all the kids were coming up to pet my horse.

"Pretty good," Jack says striding over to me.
"I knew at the pace you were going your horse wouldn't hold that," i said.
"I let you win," he said.
"Liar," i glared, "I won fair and square." He leaned in and tried to kiss me. I smacked him hard on the side of his face. I left a noticeable red mark on his left cheek.
"Ow!" He yelled
"Well its your fault for trying to kiss me!" I yelled.
"I thought it was appropriate," he closed his eyes and stuck his nose up.
"I'm married," I stepped on his foot and walked back to the house. My face was red with embarrassment.

I was stopped by a flyer on the side of a building. It said any man who signed up for the war gets a sum of money.
"That's enough to save the house," i whispered. 

"There you are!" Edward yelled and ran towards me. He hugged me and I held him close.
"Where were you," Ma says behind him, "we were worried sick!"
"I was in the square," I said, "beating a guy at riding a horse!" I exclaimed.
"Horse riding!" Edward says.
"Yeah i beat the guy by at least 3 feet," I laughed.
"At least you beat him," he says, "but don't just disappear ever again!"

He embraced me again. I was going to sign up for the war tonight and this is the last hug i would get from him.

⚜⚜⚜

Yay chapter! Im so glad you guys are reading this! Im busy right now so i finally uploaded a chapter 😁!!! Big step for me this week.

Questions/comments/concerns comment below 🔻
💬