Chapter 2: The Words

I was awoken by the smell of eggs on a pan. I opened my eyes and Edward was right in front of me.
"Good morning sweetheart," he smiles and strokes my hair.
"Good morning," i got up and kissed him. I dressed in my raggedy dress and walked into the kitchen.
"Morning Ma," i said and started to help with breakfast.

"Go wake the boys. Pa says they need to get to work," she tells me.
"Alright," i wipe my hands on my dress and grab a pan and a strainer. I walk up the tiny staircase. The boys share a room on the left of the stairs. I open the door and bang the kitchenware together. A "KLANG" rings through the house.
"Im up!" Jonas yells.
"What the heck?!" Harry screams and he runs at the door.
"Pa says he needs you guys in the workshop," i say and close the door. I skip into my room and plant a kiss on Edwards forehead.
"Pa needs you in the workshop soon," i say soothingly as his eyes flutter open.
"I should get dressed then," he replies.

I grab the hem of my ripping dress and skip down the stairs. I leave my shoes in the house and trek through the mud and grass to the sad excuse for a barn. It just fits a horse and some necessities.

I grab a small wire brush and stroke the horse's tail gently.
"Kiwi..." I began, "lets go get that know it all in the square today. OK?" The horse reared up in excitement. I laughed a little.

The door to the barn opens and ma walks in.
"Ma?" I looked at her funny,"whats wrong?"
"We might loose the house, Martha," she says. I look at her with a blank expression. I took a moment to process.
"But- what- no- loose the house?" I stuttered.
"I know," she lowered her head, "we aren't getting the business we used to," she patted my shoulder and left without another word.

We cant loose the house. I would have to sell Kiwi and the boys wouldn't have a home. I have to find something to make us money.

I straddle the horse and kick the barn doors open. I ride into the silence of the woods.

⚜⚜⚜
Yep short chapter. I was feeling this was a good place to stop. TBH i didnt know what else to wright and... Yeah...

Questions/comments/concerns/ corrections comment below🔻
💬