Chapter 6: New Friend

Grant and I talk for hours in the pub. We laugh and share stories. We've had a drink or two and are sat in the same corner. The chair cushions probably have indents of out butts in them at this point.
"So the guy comes up to me and smacks me over the head with the canoe," Grant's beer sloshes over the top of the tankard and he takes a huge swig, not acknowledging that he just spilled it on his jacket, " And I grabbed his bartender and stabbed him with my sword. Then he grabbed the carriage and threw it at my stomach, so I grabbed the house and shove it out the window. I started to cry and so did he. And that, my friend, was my first time playing dolls with my sister's friend," he leans back and spills more of his beer on the stained floors.

"I-uh... Im actually a girl," I said. He stared at me for a little while.
"Really?" He put down the tankard on a unstable table, "Wow... Now I see it."
"You wont tell anyone, right?" I sit up in my chair grabbing the arm rests.
"No, no, I don't see any reason to tell anyone. I mean we need more men fighting, so why not!" He smacks the arm handles and points a shaking finger at me.
"We need to sleep seeing we are departing tomorrow morning and I'm half drunk at this moment," he gets up and walks shakily to his room.
"Goodnight, Miles," he waves a hand and closes his wooden door.

I walk back into my dusty, disgusting room. I flop down on the bed and stare at the movement of the trees on the moonlit ceiling. I slowly drift off into dreams of Edwards sweet face and Ma's delightful dinners.

Im awoken by a knock on my door. The clock in my room said it was a little past four a.m. I open the door, hazed with sleep.
"Hey, Miles, we have to leave soon. Grab your belongings and follow me," I rub my eyes.
"I dont have anything else," I say closing the door behind me and coming face to face with Grant.
"Here," Grant gives me a jacket and a pair of sleep pants.
"Don't you want these?"
"Oh, I have more. There yours now," I smile and say thanks. We head out and over to the front of an armory. Grant strides to the font of the group of men.

"Alright, now each of you are getting a horse, a gun, a uniform, and some ammo. They've already set up camp for us. We're heading over to Gettysburg to fight the British. Now they have better guns and weaponry, but we have hope and a will to return. Thank you for being here and  if you want to leave this is your only chance. Are we clear?" One man leaves.

Grant hands out weapons, uniforms, and gives us horses.
"This horse, Miles, I rode him into battle last year and he saved me from getting shot right through the head here," he points to a little scar on the side of his head by his eye.
"Im hiving him to you, in hopes he will do the same," he pets the horse and gives me a carrot.
"Now, Poppy, this is Miles. She is gonna take good care of ya, now. Keep her safe just like you did I," he tells me to feed the horse and I pack up his saddle and straddle Poppy.

"Let the games begin!" Grant yells and places an unlit cigar in his mouth and smiles.

⚜⚜⚜

Hey children! Im glad to have extra time to write! I usually write in drama class because we aren't putting on any plays right now. Thats all for now!

If you discover a typo or grammar mistake feel free to correct me.

Comments/questions/concerns/corrections?

❤️Kat King