Story 9 - Stargazing

I had just punched Leo for trying to kiss me. He was beyond drunk when he approached me, but still that didn't mean he had a right to be a jerk. There was loud ''wwoooohhhh' from everyone around us, but that was just about all the reaction that we got. Everyone were back to doing what they did after laughing for a moment. I couldn't stand the crowd anymore, I walked past everyone , pushing a couple of people off my way as I did.

I couldn't believe how many people turned up on such a short notice. I guess free food kind of brings that out in us jobless jacks. By the time I reached the rooftop, I could hear another "wooohhh". That was either someone punching the lights out of another , or just a couple of really wasted fools chugging more.

"Oh.. I didn't know there was someone here already."

I turned around to see one of the girls I saw from earlier. She seemed like the type of person who was uncomfortable in her own clothes. Like she was dressing up only to impress those who would never care about her.

"Just staying away from all that" I said pointing downstairs..

"Tell me about it." she said as she walked to the center and sat down. She looked up & stared intently at the sky.

"Really ? Stargazing ?" I asked in sarcasm.

"Yes. It is quite fun you know." she replied.

Then it hit me. I was just as fake to her, as she was to me. And who could blame her ? I knew this wasn't my kind of place & yet I came anyway.

Suddenly she didn't seem to be so uncomfortable. Or maybe that's how she was right from the start & it was I who missed it. I sat down next to her. She didn't bother to acknowledge me and continued to look at the stars.

"What do you think about the stars?" she asked, without turning away from the sky.

"The stars?" I asked, looking up at the sky. "Not much really. They're just like the folks downstairs. Their presence hardly matter to me."

"Really?" she seemed surprised. "But the stars are a lot more interesting than them."

"Why the obsession over stars?" I asked her.

"No reason really. I wouldn't call it an obsession either. I don't even know which is which. I simply like watching them. They make everything we experience seem insignificant." she said.

"Wow. You really are like a living version one of those 'coming of age' kind of movies."

I said.

She laughed & said, "I guess I am. But I can assure you that none of those movies had any sort of influence on me."

"For real? Not even 'Before Sunrise'?" I asked.

"Nope."

"Well that's a huge let down." I said.

"Don't get me wrong. I loved the movie. I loved all three movies in fact. But it's just I wouldn't say they were anything that defined who I am." she replied.

"Deep."

"I know. So what about you then? What's the movie that had an impact on your way of living ?" she asked.

That completely caught me off guard. I thought for a long time. On any normal day I'd have said a couple of movies without thinking for a second. But for some reason, I couldn't help but push them away as nothing more than entertainment now.

"I don't think I have one either." I said finally.

"Thought so." she replied

We fell silent after that & she continued looking at the stars. Finally, I asked her. "So what's your name?"

----