Story 14 - The Stage

(A/N : For once I didn't want to tell a story. Rather I wanted to express what the character felt during his most cherished moment. So , sorry if this isn't up to the mark as the previous stories)

His legs were shaking in fear. He looked at all the eyes in front of him. He could see a variety of reactions from them. Some were wondering what he was doing there. Some didn't bother to look at him. And some, who were literally disgusted by the fact that such an ugly looking boy had come up stage.

He waved a hi to everyone. No response. He wasn't fazed, he fully expected it. He was here for himself. To prove that he can do this. He put his palms on his cheeks to help him focus. He was getting steady. But suddenly out of nowhere he heard the music blaze around him. He missed the first beat of the song. He stood still for a moment. The audience were confused, but he didn't care. He kicked his feet high up as the next beat began. He began to groove to the music, just like he practiced. Everyone started to look at his feet & hands this time. He knew that he could make them look. As the song rose, he picked up the pace. He did the first backflip and a part of the crowd went 'oooh'. He said to himself that he got this and danced even faster.

By now the crowd had began to clap. As his feet moved faster, the crowd began to clap harder & cheer louder. But something didn't feel right. He said he was dancing for himself, but now his eyes were constantly looking around the crowd for approval. The cheers were like a drug that put him on a high. He pushed himself further & further.

By now, he was no longer dancing the routine he had originally planned. He was improvising as he danced. As he danced, he felt a sense of pride course through him. He relished what he felt. Growing up being ignored all his life, he felt that this stage was a way to get all the attention & appreciation which he deserved & did not receive till now.

The song was about to end , he had to come up with something big, something grand. His mind had never worked so fast till now. He was surprised by both his own skill & the effect the crowd had on him. As the last beat was near, he jumped off the stage with an elegant sommersault & landed right on the judges table below. He stood still as soaked himself in the deafening roar he received from his audience.