Story 7 - The Ice Cream Man

The Ice cream van was riding slowly through the empty street. The Ice cream man had gone through the route so many times that he could close his eyes & drive. Still he remained extremely attentive. He had seen his fair shares of accidents, that the last thing he wanted was to put someone's life at risk.

It was funny that he was worried about such a thing , when his own life was at risk. The ice cream company he was working at has been rumoured to be closed down soon. He knew it was only a matter of time before the rumour became a reality. In fact, the company had already owed him two month's salary.

He should've quit the job, but the company hired him during a time when no one would. He decided that he'd stay with the company till its end. He owed them at least that much.

He thought about his family. His wife was a hard working woman, who had managed to raise her kids ,when her husband was unable to be there for her & the family. His kids were kind enough to forgive the father who was never there for them. He couldn't have asked for a better family.

However he never found the courage to ask them to let him in. He was too ashamed to ask anything more than what they had already given him. Now all he had to do was return their kindness, by being a person they would be proud of.

He wondered how different life would've been, if he could redo it again. Tears came running down, without his knowledge. He hadn't thought what he was going to do once the company closes down. He didn't want to leave town & stay away from his family, but he was also sure no one here would hire him.

He stopped the van, as a mother & her little daughter waved their arms at the van. The mother held the daughter up so she could talk to him.

"I want two Ice creams. Chocolate for me & Black Current for mommy."

He smiled at the daughter, "Coming right up." and scooped the ice creams & was about to place them on the cones.

The mother looked slightly uncomfortable as she stopped him "Erm... I'm sorry. But... I just have enough for the small ones"

He smiled as he continued with the larger cones. He handed the ice cream to the daughter, who took it with a small gasp after seeing the size.

He looked at the mother and said "Don't worry about the money. It's on me."

The mother still looked doubtful. So he continued, "Our company will be closing down in another few days. So it won't matter."

He could tell that the mother felt too awkward to say anything. She simply smiled and nodded at him & said "Thank you." He nodded in acknowledgement.

As he saw the two leave, he suddenly realised something. He knew it was a long shot, but he could try. He gave a call to his boss.

"I have an idea."

--

Author's Note : I wanted to try something different this time. Unlike most of my previous stories where I told a clear(er) story , I've kept the ending quite vague .. What happened & happens to the Ice Cream Man is completely up to you.

SO THE STORY HAS OFFICIALLY ENDED ALREADY. HOWEVER,

if you want a more decisive ending. The next few lines is how I would finished the story. (YOU'VE BEEN WARNED, SO PROCEED WITH CAUTION)

---

He gave a call to his boss.

"I have an idea. We should hold an event giving away the remaining ice cream for free. If we're going to close down. We should go as the nice guys."

His boss was silent for a moment. and then replied, "You've gone mad. I'm firing you. Comeback to the store soon & get your paycheck, before I change my mind."

----

Author's Note : So how was that for an ending ? :P

Did you have any alternate ending for our Ice Cream Man's story ? If yes, then let me know in the comments.

---