Chapter Three

A/N: You guys should really play this song after the italicized part.

My heart started to pound against my chest the moment my phone began to sing the song of her ringtone.

"Hayden?" I asked, rushing the name.

"Hey Del." She said, sniffling.

"Are you okay? Why are you calling? Did something happen?"

I heard her faint laugh on the other end, "I'm okay.. I just.." she sighed before continuing, "I miss you Delilah."

"You do?"

"Of course I do. Do you miss me?"

I covered my hand with my mouth and nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "Of course I miss you! Why don't you come home? Or if you don't want to come home yet we could go out somewhere?" I breathed for a moment, "We could do anything you want Hayden. I really miss you!"

She began to laugh. And her laughed soon mixed with another laugh.

His laugh.

I frowned, "Hayden?"

"You're an idiot Delilah. She doesn't miss you, she hates you. She's with me now." Michael laughed through the phone.

(Play the song now)

I jumped up in bed. Looking around the dark bedroom.

She wasn't here. Neither was Michael.

I was just alone. By myself.

I pulled out my phone and despite the late time I dialed in Ezras number. Of course he answered my call quickly.

"Do you need me to come over?" He asked.

"Yes." I whispered.

He hung up, knowing the drill. I gave him a spare key for times like these.

On nights like these ones when I was again alone and wasn't drunk I'd call for him and he'd come running.

I sat crossed legged at the window and stared out at the city knowing somewhere out there she was pushed up against him sleeping, or doing God knows what.

Soon I felt another presence enter the room and he took a seat next to me.

"Was it a dream? Or is it just to much tonight?" Ezra asked.

I looked at him and began to cry, "it's both. It's all to much. I miss her."

He nodded and held his arms out for me, "I know Del. I know."

I leaned into his chest and he ran his hand up and down my spine.

Despite me pretending to not want him around, I needed him around. He was my best friend. He was the only person left who cared. I know that he gets the situation. I'm never afraid to let anything out with him because I know he gets it.

I cried for various minutes and he let me.

Even after my tears were gone I was still a sad mess over her. It hurt knowing that she was with someone else.

That she left me so easily for someone else.

I stared out at the city, "does it ever drive you crazy knowing she's out there?" I asked moving my head up to look at Ezra.

He looked down at me, "it does yeah. It sucks knowing that she's with somebody else. But.. I don't know. I guess you get used to the missing piece of the person."

I pursed my lips, I hadn't gotten used to it. Sometimes if I was drunk enough I could feel her arms wrapped around me as I slept.

"But that's what I got you for Del," He said smiling at me, "You're my substitute girlfriend." He winked.

My eyes widened and I pulled out of his arms, "You fucker."

He started laughing as I scrunched my nose up, "You're so dramatic Delilah."

I shrugged and watched him as he laughed again at my reaction. Once it got quiet I pulled his arms back around me.

Me and Ezra had similar situations in our relationship lives. Only he went through his breakup while Hayden and I were together.

He began spending more and more time at our apartment while he went through it. Sometimes with just Hayden, sometimes just me, or both of us.

Hayden was always concerned and constantly asked him if he was alright. I'd vomit in my mouth each time she did, and he would laugh at my reactions to her obnoxious asking.

"Does it get bearable?" I asked him.

I felt him nod even though I wasn't looking at him. "For me it did."

I stayed quiet after that, but instead of looking at the city I looked up to my ceiling.

Now that it was night time the stick on stars were glowing up on the roof. Hayden and I had put them up one evening, and then we danced all night with the city lights from below on the streets pouring in and the stars glowing above.

"You know what I want to listen to!" Hayden winked.

I nodded and turned on One Direction, our favorite band, since always.

"UGH Niall is still so hot Del." Hayden said while she started to dance with the song.

"Ugh so is Harry." I winked, grabbing her hand to dance with her.

We danced to album after album under our makeshift night sky.

I spent more of the time watching her and biting my lip then I did actually dancing.

The song Moments came on she stopped dancing and looked over at me.

She held out her hand and gave me the most loving smile. "Will you dance with me?"

I rushed to grab her hand, "of course I will."

She began to lead me in a slow dance, and began to softly sing along with the song in my ear and I did the same.

I looked away from the ceiling and closed my eyes, beginning to hum the tune.

I fall asleep humming Moments while Ezra held me. But nevertheless her smile was inside my brain.