Uncontrolled- pic of Alycia

“What was that?” Jessica demanded for the second time that day. On second she was in the desert, still trying to comprehend the idea of moving to a different plane, the next she felt like she was being stretched impossible thin at the same time as being squashed into a tiny speck, and now she was standing in a big, completely empty hall.

The room looked like it had been cut out of some kind of giant rock, with the walls, ceiling, and floor all running seamlessly together in one giant grey blob only to be interrupted by dark wooden doors. There were tables placed systematically in the room giving it the appearance of a cafeteria.

“That was…” Alycia began.

“Don’t tell her!” Miranda snapped in annoyance, “Seriously, Alycia, do you have to tell that one everything? After all she did?”

“But I…”

“No, don’t even start. Take her downstairs. She’s a code 6 and I want you to deal with her in a way that fits,” Miranda hissed, glaring at Jessica with enough venom to make her flinch.

How did she do that? Jessica thought. She had never backed down from anyone before, but Miranda could make her feel weak and insecure by simply looking at her. She just wanted to curl up and cry. Using all her will power, Jessica forced her eyes off the ground that she had been studying to glance at Miranda who was smirking at her.

“Miranda!” Alycia protested in outraged.

“Now!” The vampire ordered, her eyes flashing with barely contained rage.

Alycia opened her mouth to protest, but changed her mind when she saw Miranda’s eyes, “Of course,” She sighed. She was certain that if she didn’t get Jessica out of Miranda’s sight, undead blood would start to spill. Once Miranda got it in her head that she didn’t like someone, their survival chances plummeted.

“Good. And when you’re done, come to my room, I have some things I want to talk to you about,” She said, looking down at Alexander who was now leaning heavily on her, unconscious. The trip had not helped his bad condition.

Alycia looked uncomfortable, but in the end nodded, “Come on, Jessica.”

“But I…”

“Now!” Alycia commanded, already striding out the room.

Jessica sighed, already feeling the threatening buzzing in her wrist telling her it would not be a good idea to get too far away from the Attroxian. Shaking off the depression, Jessica quickly jogged to catch up with Alycia who was already near a small wooden door at the corner of the room.

“What’s going on?” Jessica whispered once they were out the hall, Alycia already leading her down a hallway that, like the hall, was made of stone.

“Don’t say anything, don’t look at anyone, just keep walking and keep your head down and you might get through this,” Alycia hissed out the corner of her mouth as they turned to the right and went through a wooden door.

On the other side of the door was another grey hallway bursting at the seams with people who all stopped whatever they were doing to stare at Alycia and Jessica.

Jessica paused, staring right back at them as she felt Alycia grow tense next to her, “What?” Alycia asked, half smiling, “Have I got something on my face?”

Some people blushed and turned back to whatever they had been doing, writing on papers, texting on phones, or having whispered conversation with those near them. But others just stared. Then, as Jessica watched, the crowd started to smile, the wave of happiness started with those closest to Alycia but slowly worked its way through the crowd until everyone was grinning and turning back to what they were doing with a new found joy.