Chapter 7

Chapter 7-

"You need to get out your family and get out of here," I tell him seriously. "We have to get Maddie, I have to show dad that she's okay."

He nods and quickly runs to the door, I follow behind. We reach Maddie's cage and Dr Eaton quickly unlocks it. "Just hurry up before he destroys the whole world." 

I nod and rush in. "Maddie!" I call out. Soon  she comes stumbling out. She looks like she's sleep deprived and hasn't had a single clean. Quickly I turn towards Dr Eaton. "Why does she look so bad?"

He winces slightly and I turn back towards Maddie. "Look don't even answer that, I don't want to know."

I take her hand and lead her towards the house. “Where’s your bathroom?” I ask. He speeds ahead and opens the doors for me.

“Mason, where are we going? What’s happening?” She whispers to me.

“We’re going back to dad.” I say simply, she doesn’t need to know the details about it. “We’re going home.”

She nods and doesn’t say anything else, eyeing Dr Eaton wearily.

“Down the hall, then take a left and you’ll get to the bathroom.” He says. I nod and walk towards the room.

“Hurry and get your family out of here.” I say as a loud and fast wind hits the side of the house. The walls creak under the pressure but I don’t stop. Dr Eaton rushed to gather his family.

I run Maddie into the bathroom and quickly run the water. She removes her clothes and hops under the spray of water, lying down. In a minute her legs transform into a tail. I hand her some soap and she washes up.

There’s a knock on the door and I pull it open. I’m so rushed I have no time to make sense of everything. “What are you doing Justin?” I ask, “You should be gone now with your dad and mum.”

“I couldn’t leave with them,” He says, “I want to come with you.”

“How?” I ask, “You can’t swim.”

He lowers his head, red tinting his cheeks. “I-I never thought of that.”

I roll my eyes and laugh despite the situation. “We’ll figure something out, just… find some clean clothes for Maddie, yeah?”

He nods quickly, “I can do that.” He turns around and runs to a room down the hall.

I turn back to help Maddie out of the bath, “Who’s he?” She whispers quietly.

“That’s Justin.” I say, “He’s my uh… friend.” How am I meant to tell my sister that he’s really my mate? We’re brought up being told that if you’re a guy you have a girl mate and if you’re a girl you have a guy mate. The ones that aren’t like that are rejected and thrown away from the castle. If you contact one of them it’s your fate too.

Justin returns just as Maddie’s legs come back. “Hurry and get changed.” I tell her, handing her the clothes.

I walk out the door and stand in front of Justin silently. “Where’d you get the clothes from?”

Something crosses his face and he fiddles with a ring on his finger. “Um… I used to have a little sister, a little bit older than yours.”

“What happened to her?” I’m crossing the line but his family did trap me in a room.

“She died from a hit and run.” He whispers quietly.

I lower my head slightly, “I’m sorry to hear that.”

He shrugs it off, “So am I.” He takes a deep breath and looks me in the eye. “Look, I’m sorry for what my family did, I truly am and if there’s any way I can make it up to you I’ll do it.”

“There actually is one thing you could do.” I say, meeting his gaze.

“What’s that?”

“Be mine?”