Finding Hope

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Finding Hope

It was a hazy summer afternoon.

Savannah was sat underneath the ash tree reading up on a book her grandmother sent her.

There were a couple pages left of the book yet Savannah still didn't know how she felt about it.

It didn't deeply touch her or teach her a life lesson she didn't already know.

She simply read it, because she thought it was going to go somewhere it didn't.

She sat and thought about Leon like she did about a million times a day.

It was bittersweet.

She smiled to herself when she thought about the memories they shared as her heart broke every time she realised that those were all she had left of Leon.

She missed him deeply, more and more as the days went by.

His voice, his touch, his face, his heart.

Some days were harder than others for Savannah, but she was glad she had the strong shoulders of her parents to lean and cry on when she was feeling weak.

It was all a part of the healing process as her mother would say.

But nothing could fill the emptiness and loneliness that Leon had left behind.

That was the thing about Leon, he was such a huge part of Savannah's life that she never realised that she was seriously lacking in friends, friends that she needed now more than ever.

She thought about Mitchell, she hadn't heard from him in what felt like eternity.

She checked her phone about a million times a day to see if he responds to her messages and missed calls, but nothing.

She couldn't blame him, she just felt worse and worse as the days went by.

Ben had been spending most of his time with Savannah.

They'd watch movies together, play sports together and just hang out together.

Savannah found herself smiling and forgetting her worries that often keep her up at night, whenever she was with Ben.

It blew her mind, the kind-hearted gentlemen that Ben was growing into, she found herself often staring at him in awe and pride of everything that he is becoming.

Words couldn't express her gratitude towards Ben, he didn't have to do all that he was doing, but his efforts to uplift Savannah's spirits was something she felt she could never thank him enough for.

Her older brother on the other hand, was a different story.

Despite his team winning the championships, Mike seemed dull, he wasn't strutting around the house with arrogance like he usually did, which irked Savannah, yet she oddly missed.

She couldn't pretend that some of that wasn't her doing.

She felt bad about rejecting Mike so dismissively, but she didn't regret it.

She was feeling conflicted.

If Leon's tragic death taught her anything, it's that life is too impeccably short to push away loved ones, yet she wanted to stand her ground.

She wasn't going to forgive Mike in an instant after her dragged her through hell for a year.

At least not without an apology.