19: Humanity, On. Check

~Are you ready for this? Probably a handful of chapters left guys. Or maybe at least 10 more. And possibly chapter 30 an epilogue. No idea. Haven't gotten too far past writing chapter 20.

GOAL: 19 VOTES & 10 COMMENTS

Chapter Nineteen

"Katerina?" Elijah answered his phone a few feet away from me. I turned my back to him and took in my surroundings while he took his call.

"Hello, Elijah," a voice came through. Stefan.

"Where is Katherine?" Elijah asked more threateningly.

"Where's Kenzie?"

"Safe," Elijah said. "How long she remains so depends on you."

I frowned at that. "Well, I guess the same goes for Katherine," Stefan replied.

"Oh, Katherine can take care of herself against the two of you."

"Oh, you mean the three of us," Stefan corrected and I fought back a smirk. "Your little sister decided to join Team Good Guys for the time being."

"Put her on the phone," Elijah demanded.

"Oh, she's not here right now," Stefan said. "I left her with Damon and Katherine."

"Tell me where they are."

"Relax. No one's gonna get hurt as long as Katherine hands over the cure."

"Do you understand how much my sister despises Katherine? I assure you, Rebekah will end her the moment she ceases to be of use."

"Well, just tell me where you are, and we can talk this through."

"You listen to me very carefully, Stefan. If anything happens to Katherine whatsoever I will descend upon Elena," Elijah said before he ended the call.

"You're both idiots," I stated as I could sense he was close to me.

"Excuse me?" He asked as I turned and walked straight past him down to the other end of the tunnel he dragged me to.

"Ugh," I groaned, turning back to face him but now his back was to me. "What happened to you, Elijah? I mean, I thought you were a man of honor and yet you've been hooking up with Katherine this entire time?"

"Well, I suppose this man of honor always shared a connection with Katherine," he said then glanced at me over his shoulder for a mere second. "She contaced me when she leaned about the cure. We thought we could be of mutual use."

"'Of mutual use.' Please," I scoffed, chuckling humorlessly. "You fell for her trap just like every other one of those idiots."

"You underestimate me, Kenzie. I know who she is," he said, slowly turning around to face me now. And then he took the neccessary steps to me, even going past me. "I know what she's done."

I pivoted around only to face his back. "And you think she's changed?" I asked and he turned right in front of me, our brown eyes locked on one another's. "She's playing you. She lied to you, Elijah."

"She didn't lie to me about your transformation," he quipped. I then stared at him blankly, heaving a sigh. Elijah took a step closer, a small smirk tugging on his lips with his eyes narrowing in suspicious. "You're not just a vampire, though, are you?"

I simply shrugged.

"There's something else. You...You're not yourself. You've abandoned your emotions. Why?"

"My brother's dead," I stated. The quizzical look on his face passed to one of shock but I continued speaking before he said something like he's sorry for my loss. "You're girlfriend killed him."