Chapter Ten

Lily—two years later.

I couldn't believe that I was about to marry Brice Raven. Brice had been drafted by the Miami Dolphins and I was loving the Florida weather, so I hoped they kept him for many years to come. Not to mention, I'd gotten a job teaching at an elementary school and I loved it. It did kind of suck for Brice that he was so far away from his family. His Aunt Lenore was still living in Seattle. Brice had tried to talk her into moving to Miami, but she was comfortable in Seattle and had friends there. After Brice's brother, Sayer, graduated from MIT he went to work for some big software company in San Diego, California. It was ironic that Brice moved from San Diego not long before his brother moved to San Diego.

Brice had been giving Sayer a hard time lately. Something about the bosses daughter at Sayers workplace. I tried to stay out it. Sayer was a big boy, so he could figure it out. Vienna had moved to New York after graduating high school, as planned, and was quickly making a name for herself in the writing world. Her brothers didn't like the fact that she was now a well-known romance writer, but I was thrilled for her.

Brice's friends, Gage and Kael, had also both moved to New York. Gage had been drafted by the Giants and Kael by the Jets. They, of course, did a lot of ribbing each other, being on rival teams in the same city. They all came together for our wedding though, I thought with a smile. My wedding. It was my wedding day. I still couldn't believe it. I'd never thought this day would come for me. Before Brice, I'd never planned to marry. My parents hadn't been good examples for me. My mother was currently on her sixth husband and my father on his fourth wife. I had so many ex and current step-siblings that I stopped counting and I wasn't close to any of them. My parent's marriages didn't last long enough for me to make any lasting bonds. I wasn't close with my parents either. They were two selfish individuals and only came around when they wanted something. The second they learned I was dating Brice Raven, they jumped all over me. Brice had helped me shut them down and they haven't talked to me much since. I wasn't even sure if they'd be here today, but I couldn't worry about that. I had a brilliant future ahead of me, without or without them.

"Hey, Lily, so tell me about Julie." Kael suddenly whispered at my side.

I know my eyes were probably the size of Texas. I wouldn't have been so surprised if Gage had been the one to ask about her. Gage was a little nuts, as was Julie. At least Julie had dyed her hair black for my wedding, so it wasn't some crazy florescent color, like it usually was. I looked at Kael, "Why?"

Kael gazed at Julie and if I didn't know better I would say he was infatuated. Huh? Who would have thought? Kael explained, "I don't know what it is, but there is just something about her that I'm drawn to. I don't know if it's her confidence or the way that she seems to be bossing everyone around. Whatever it is, I like it."

I chuckled. Julie had surprised me actually. She was taking her job as my maid-of-honor very seriously and making sure every detail remained perfect. Like now, she marched over and demanded of me, "You have to get out of this room. Brice will see you before the wedding and we can't have that."

I rolled my eyes, "Julie, this isn't a traditional wedding and Brice has already been dipping into my cake, if you know what I mean. He literally can have his cake and eat it too."

Kael coughed to cover his chuckle, which earned him a glare from Julie. I watched, fascinated when Kael winked at her and she blushed. Julie actually blushed. I'd never seen her do that before and if I hadn't just witnessed it, I never would have believed her capable of such a thing. Interesting, very interesting. Julie had trust issues where men were concerned. Her dad left her when she was a baby and her mom dated a string of horrible men after that. It was natural that Julie would develop trust issues where men were concerned. From what Brice had told me and from what I could tell, Kael just might be what Julie needed to break her free of her issues.