thirty-seven

The crowd around Jackson Whittemore's body tensed, Nurse McCall pulling up the 37 jersey to reveal wounds to his stomach.

"There's blood," Lydia said in a panicked voice. "There's blood."

Winnie's hand tightened around Isaac's, eyes wide as she found blood on Jackson's fingers. "His hands," she said to only Scott and Isaac.

"He did it to himself?" Isaac lowly questioned.

On the ground, Melissa looked up to Lydia. "Get down here." She raised her voice when the strawberry blonde didn't move. "Get down here and hold his head. Tilt it up."

Lydia could barely breathe, following the nurse's instructions.

Winnie's focus changed, letting go of Isaac's hand as she looked around. "Something's wrong."

"Jackson's dead, Win-"

Winnie cut off Scott, not looking at either wolf. "It''s not that. It's Sti-"

But Sheriff Stilinski's voice rang before she could explain her concern.

"Where the hell is my son?"

Scott quickly turned to Winnie, "Stiles is missing?" With the commotion, he hadn't noticed. "Do you know where he went?"

"He didn't go anywhere, someone took him." Winnie scanned the crowd, EMTs rushing to collect the co-captain's body. "And I know who."

Isaac caught Winnie's hand before she could leave, "You're not going alone."

"Let me do this," she told him. "Stay with Scott and figure out what's going on with Jackson. This is all a part of his plan and it's not over yet."

"Whose plan?" questioned Lahey as he took a step closer to cut out wandering ears.

"Gerard."

Isaac shook his head, "Don't go after him yourself."

"I need to," Winnie countered. "I'm done letting him hurt people I care about, letting him control me. I'm going to get Stiles, and I'm going to come back to you."

Isaac leaned in as she tugged on his jersey, kissing her like he wouldn't be able to again.

Winnie pulled away moments later, "And don't ever try to leave without saying goodbye to me." She kissed him one more time before backing off and practically running off the field.

The parking lot had fairly cleared out, spectators having run for their lives upon Jackson's death.

Winnie jogged to Stiles' Jeep, knowing that she had to take his car. She had to get to the Argent's home before it was too late.

"Going somewhere?"

As she jimmied the car door open, Winnie quickly looked up. She turned over her shoulder, an oddly familiar face across from her. "You."

"I'm afraid we haven't met."

"Unfortunately I still know who you are," Winnie said as she remained in the open Jeep door. "Peter Hale, back from the dead."

Standing not too far away with his hands in the pockets of a dark trench coat, Peter lightly smiled. "Derek tells me you shine. It's been years since I've heard about anyone with that ability."

"There aren't many of us," Winnie said. "Aren't you on a leash? Where's Derek?"

"Unfortunately here," announced Derek as he came up between the two. "Why are you taking the Jeep?"

"Stiles drove me here and I have to go find him," she replied. She removed a pocket knife from her bag, crouching down and working on the wires below the dashboard.