Chapter 10: The family and the suprise

Gajeel's POV

It's been two months since we started dating. We were doing fine, dates, double dates, sleepovers, but never something more serious. Until now. Hell, I don't even know why I am so nervous. It's not like I haven't done it before. I just have to keep my composure.

All those thoughts passed through my head as I stood outside her door, my hand reaching to ring the doorbell, stopping one inch from it. I took one last deep breath and rang it. I heard fast steps from inside approaching. The door opened and she appeared before me. She wore a black skirt and a white shirt; the three top buttons were undone.

"Hey Shorty." I said, starting sweating.

"Evening Gajeel. You look nice." She scanned me with her eyes.

"Y-you too. You're gorgeous." I said and leaned forward to plant a peck on her lips.

"Come on in." She said, licking her lips and opening the door fully. I stepped inside, my legs shaking.

"Granny! He's here." She called.

I gulped and felt a drop of sweat run down my forehead.

"Don't be so nervous, Gajeel. You've known each other for ages." She placed her hands on my chest and shoulders and fixed my shirt. She was right. I've known nana for years. She was always so nice to me, treating me like her own grandchild.

"It's not the same, baby. I've never done this before. How will she react now that I am her granddaughter's boyfriend?"

"Gajeel! You're here!" Nana walked to me and hugged me while I stood dumb stuck. "You don't have to be nervous. I've known about you two before you even did." She shook my shoulders and laughed, and we laughed too. I looked over at Levy who was smiling at me with loving eyes and nana followed our lines of gaze. She pulled Levy into the hug and gave a kiss on each our foreheads.

"Shall we eat? Dinner is ready." Nana said and dried her tears. She walked first and we followed, Levy nudging close to my side. I wiped a tear that had fallen on her cheek with my knuckle. She smiled and nested closer to me.

We sat and ate our dinner, while chatting, telling jokes and laughing. I felt like I belonged in a family, which was a first for me after a long, long time. Having Levy by my side and her only family accepting me were the only two things that I needed.

"Gajeel?" Nana called for me as I helped move the dishes from the dining room to the kitchen. She caught my hands in hers and looked at me with pride.

"You know, now I see you as my own grandchild. It's clear that you love her and she does too, even if she hasn't told you yet. But I know. The way she looks at you...I don't even have words to describe it. So, I'm going to ask one thing from you." Her eyes watered up. "Make her happy."

I smiled and pulled her into a hug. "I promise."

After the whole dinner was over and we took care of the cleaning, Levy and I went out for a walk. Our steps were slow and lazy, and our fingers were intertwined.

"That went well." Levy said.

"Yeah. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I mean, I was hella nervous, but as soon as nana hugged us everything went away. It felt like I belonged in a family."

We walked for a while more and then I accompanied her home. I kissed her goodnight and left.

Levy's POV

"Granny, I'm back." I said as I locked the door behind me.

"I'm in here." She said from the living room, where she sat on the couch, getting some rest.