Something Special

Landon's P.O.V
The whole night I couldn't stop thinking about Joelle. She makes sense and that scares me.
" Mr.Marks, there is a dinner party tonight and you have a fitting at one," Nova says at my office door and I look up to her with a smile.
" Of course, just let me know when you're ready," I say in kind of a rush to get her out.
        " Mr.Marks," Joelle calls from my door and I look up immediately because her voice alone catches my attention.
      " Come in Joelle, close the door," I motion and she closes it then comes to sit next to me.
      " I just wanted to drop off this plan and Nova told me to tell you that your suit is running a little late but should be here by 1:30," she relays and I nod.
      " Can you talk for a minute," I ask needing to get my mind off things and she smiles.
     " Is everything okay," she asks concerned and I nod.
       " Do you mind going to this dinner party with me, my mother is coming and she'd love to see you," I proclaim and she shakes her head.
       " Of course, I'll have to find something to wear but I'd love to go," she smiles and I try not to look shocked because I expected her to reject my offer.
        " Wait here while I go to my meeting and we can leave out to find a dress together," I demand because watching her dress shop has somehow become a huge turn on.
        " I have to finish up some things in my office, but I'll meet you back here once you're done," she answers and I nod as we both head out the door.
***
Couple of hours later and we are in some high end dress place near state street. Joelle begged to go somewhere cheaper, but this kind of party will ruin her if her dress is less than 1000 dollars.
" How do you feel about this one," she asks, this is probably the third dress she's shown me and it seems like each time makes my pants a little tighter.
" Beautiful," I respond and she glares at me.
" You said that about the last one," she whines and I want to kiss the expression off of her face.
" I'm going to put on the last one and please be more of a help," she pleads and I laugh lightly.
"This one is so pretty," she calls out before leaving the dressing room and my eyes widen. The black dress clung to her skin in all the right places and her hair being pulled up seemed to put the icing on the cake.
" I usually don't like the mermaid look, but this is really nice," she claims and I have to agree any guy with a sex drive will see her from miles away and that's exactly why she can't get it.
" I don't like it," I lie and she looks over to me with the sadness overflowing, I almost took it back just from the shine in her eyes dimming.
" that looks beautiful on you darling," the lady says glaring at me and I roll my eyes.
" It's too sexy. This is a dinner party, not a club ," I recon and the lady rolls her eyes.
" She has a beautiful body, this dress is far from club it just compliments her features. I don't know why she brought the jealous boyfriend with her anyway," the lady says lowly and I look at Joelle.
" The dress is too tight Joelle, I don't want to feel like I need to kill each guy I walk past," I mumble and she turns to me with a smile.
" Landon I'm your date to this party. I come with you, I leave with you," she calls and that kind of eases the situation.
" Please," she pouts as she comes closer to me and I can't physically bring myself to say no.
" Fine, if you like the dress and want to stress me out then we'll get the d*mn thing," I mumble and she kisses all over my cheek.
" Thank you, thank you, thank you ,"
She smiles and I need to hurry up and take a cold shower.
***
Walking into this event was nothing less than I expected, rich people wanting to show how rich they are. Joelle looks mesmerized by all the people and their expensive show they are putting on for the rest of the crowd. She could beat the look of these girls on her worse day and the girls giving her the side eye know they should keep their date on close watch.
       " This is so pretty, look at all these people,  they're beautiful," she whispers to me and I smile.
     " Landon, how are you man," one of my work friend calls out and I smile over to him.
       " Hey Gavin, I'm doing well, you ," I ask and he's looking at Joelle the whole time he's speaking to me.
       " Great, I see you've brought a guest," he says looking her up and down and I smile.
      " Joelle, this is Gavin," I introduce and she shakes his hand.
      " Nice to meet you sweetheart," he smiles and I start to lead her away before he pulls her clothes off in the middle of the party.
       " Maybe this dress wasn't a good idea," she whispers and I laugh.
       " Oh no, it was a must have, you remember,"I exaggerate and she glares over to me.
         " Some of these guys are looking like they've never seen a girl before," She calls and I laugh.
     " Not a girl as pretty as you," I say taking two glasses of wine off of a tray and she takes a sip from hers.
       " Oh, Landon," I hear a familiar voice yell out and I look over to Tara's smiling face. She attached to some guys arm and I can feel Joelle move a little closer to me.
      " This is going to be some kind of night," she says taking a sip of her wine and I am just looking at Tara who's walking over to me. Out of all the girls I've slept with, she just seems to not get the idea. She of all people should know why we shouldn't have even been what we were.
     " You look lovely tonight how are you," I smile and her glare is on Joelle.
      " Taking her to dinner party's, that's more than you've done for anyone ,"  she proclaims and I nod.
      " Trying something new," I respond and she looks directly at Joelle.
       " Must think you're something special because he brought you here,"  she nags and Joelle's face goes from concerned to angry.
        " No, but you must think I'm something special because you seem so threatened by me," she fired back and I'm nothing less than proud that she didn't back down to Tara.
       " Don't try me Joelle," Tara breaths out and Joelle smiles.
        " You have a nice night," she gleams and we both walk off.
      " We're going to need another drink," she sighs and I nod as I grab some off the tray.