Personal Entry 785: Ezekiel John Maxon

11th STREET BAR, 11th STREET, NEW CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES OF ATLIS
JULY 17, 2042

The black convoy of SUVs barreled down 11th street. Ezekiel Maxon sat in the back seat of the middle car. He was president and going to the roughest place in New Chicago. The tires squealed to a stop at the corner of 2nd and 11th. Ezekiel got out followed by other slamming doors. He crossed the street and entered the establishment covered in graffiti.

The crowd was slim. They'd arrived just after the midday drunks but right before the partiers. One man sat in a booth. A couple sat at one of the tables. One man sat alone at the bar. Five of Ezekiel's men separated and whispered to everyone except the man at the bar. Ezekiel pulled his jacket away from his waist revealing his gun to the bartender. The man finished cleaning his glass and left the bar. The other three left, replaced by Ezekiel's men.

Ezekiel sat next to the man at the bar. A bottle of beer sat in his right hand. Ezekiel noticed the revolver on the bar in front of him.

"If Hank told you to come for the money, it's not his," the man said.

"That's not why I'm here," Ezekiel said. "Garry."

"That's not my name," the man told him.

Ezekiel slid a black and white photo across the counter. Two teenage boys stood side by side in Atlis uniform at graduation.

"I had to pull a lot of strings to get this picture," Ezekiel said.

The worn face finally looked up. Blue eyes met blue eyes. Both men had aged since 2025. They were tough, aged.

"How's that presidency?" asked Garry.

"Almost over," Ezekiel responded. "Finally, the government has settled, and I can retire."

"That's good Ezekiel," Garry said, almost smiling. "My work's never over. Sorry about this."

The door to the kitchen slammed open. A dozen men filled the room. Ezekiel's men pulled their guns and aimed at them. Garry's guys aimed back.

"I've got work to do," Garry said. "Scorpion need my help. It's not the old Scorpious, but it's something new and better. We are the revolution. We are Scorpion."

Garry finished his drink and tucked the gun into his pants. Wheels squealed at the front of the building. Garry walked out followed by his men.

And that was the last time Ezekiel saw Garry Hines.