Personnel File #070601: Richard Nicolas Rutherford

Last Name: Rutherford
First Name: Richard
Middle Name: Nicolas
Status: Deceased
Birth: June 19, 2372
Death: October 10, 2406
Personnel Number: #2406-09EW22
Position(s): Earth Navy Commander of Atlis Military Fleet Ship The Idaho; Off-Earth Navy Captain of Atlis Military Fleet Ship The Valkyrie 
Related Personnel: None
Notable Involvement: Settlement Uprising (2404-2406); The Battle of Solace Straight (2404); The Battle of Demon's Gate (2404); The Battle of Pluto (2406)

Bio: Richard Nicolas Rutherford was born June 19, 2372. He was the son of Atlis 2nd Class General Edward Rutherford and Atlis Unit Captain Natasha Rutherford. Rutherford came from three generations of Atlis soldiers, making it very obvious of what his future should become. Rutherford was removed from high school at 16 and placed in Atlis Military Academy, where he was found to be not as successful as his predecessors. In fact, when taking his graduation examination, the judges recommended the position of 2nd Class Mechanic. 

His father, not happy with the outcome of his son's examination, used his influence and landed Rutherford a position as a 1st Class Lieutenant of Ship Operations onboard Earth Ship, The Idaho. Rutherford actually excelled in this position, quickly bringing him to Commander of the ship. 

When the Second Ring Uprising began, Atlis quickly lost troops due to the heavy military personnel imports from the Second Ring. The lack of Off-Earth Fleet captains gave Rutherford the opportunity to become Commander on the flagship, The Valkyrie. At the Battle of Demon's Gate in 2404, the first large engagement of the Uprising, Captain Gruman was killed. Rutherford took command of the Atlis fleet bringing them into what was later named the Rutherford Formation and destroyed the largest of the Settlement ships, sending the others into retreat. 

Rutherford safely brought the ship back to Earth for repairs where he was promoted to Captain of The Valkyrie. Over the course of the war, Rutherford led the fleet to many victories and is remembered for his most famous engagement, The Battle of Solace Straight. He eventually brought Atlis a solid victory over the Settlement forces at The Battle of Pluto.

Two days after the surrender of the Second Ring, Rutherford landed on the planet of Hescher to officially accept the surrender. There he was killed by a sniper, leaving a legacy of the greatest naval captain in the history of Atlis.