A promise that i keep (Wolfblood)

Chapter 1:

Rhydian

I lurch forward, grabbing Jimmy by the collar. How dare he speak about Maddy like that! Suddenly my head is throbbing and I feel my veins pumping; I have to get away. But the teachers are coming towards me, trying to calm me down. I can't let them see me, I have to protect the secret.

After a moment of blind panic I see Maddy next to me, telling me calm down and take deep breaths, but I know that this is all in my head. As my mind comes back to the real world, Mr Geoffreys leads me to his office. I hardly hear him as he gives me a lecture on how I have to control myself.

"...Just because someone insults you, Rhydian, doesn't mean that you can attack them."

" I know, I'm sorry." I look down, wishing the ground would swallow me up. Mr Geoffreys almost looks sorry for me.

He sighs. "Look, i'm going to have to call your parents." I naturally correct it in my head to foster parents. " This isn't the first time that you've had issues with controlling your anger. But, since you seem to understand what i am talking about, i'm willing to let this one pass with just a detention. Everything is going to be alright."

No, it's not, i thought.

Everybody wants to help me, to change me and make me better, but i don't want to change; this is who i am.

I said this to maddy the day i first met her. She was the only one who understood. When i was with her i never had to hide who i am, and it was easier to be in control. But she's gone, she's gone and i'm the only one of my kind now.

My name is Rhydian Morris.

I am a Wolfblood.

Maddy

I watch Jana closely, taking note of every decision she makes. We are hunting, out in the forests where i live. This is the most important meal of the week; if we fail to catch anything, we will go hungry tonight. Jana pounces to pin down a deer, while i wait to go in for back up.

There's another one, most probably part of the deer's herd. I know that this could jepardise the whole plan, but catch both deer and we will have extra to eat tonight. I transform, stalk the deer for a few short moments and take my shot. I land right on the deer's back.

Before coming to live here, i was taught that wild wolfbloods were barbaric. But now i understand that they were no different to us, except that they had to hunt and forage, whilst we just had all of our food in the fridge, ready for when we come home.

I leave the deer for the others and wander through the forests. Then, for a split second, i see Rhydian in the distance. I stare at the spot where i saw him for a while, before making myself snap out of it. He's not there, i tell myself, i left him and i can't come back. I head back to the pack.

I keep getting images in my head of my life that i left behind. Sometimes they look so real that i lose focus of the real world and follow them like mirages. This has worried the pack and they thought that i might not have the strength to hunt or forage. This is why today was so important. I have to build up my strength if i am ever to see Rhydian again. I wouldn't have to hide if it weren't for Dr Whitewood and her theories. Whenever i think about her i start to wolf out and i have only just got control of myself. Although i am wild now i refuse to change who i am.

Rhydian taught me this;i miss him and my friends so much.

My name is Maddy Smith.

I am a wolfblood.