Chapter Seven

Being the new student in junior year, in a school where everyone knows everyone and has shared with everyone, should be a little bit difficult. But in my case, it wasn't. Thanks to my two awesome roommates, Timothy, their friend and Allen, my life in this school has not been hard or awkward. It's been almost four months of class now, in which I've hanged out with them and been with them all the time, except for Christmas break which consisted of two weeks. During that time my family and I were closer than ever. We got the chance to visit the city and had a nice family dinner in our brand new dining room. When my dad picked us up from school, May and I were scared of seeing the results of two men alone in a house, decorating, but it turned out that they did a really good job with the house.  They painted the walls with a gold color, which made them shine everytime the sun's rays came inside the house. My room was just like I imagined it. The walls were of a marine blue color, just like the school's tie, my old bed was there along with my furniture I had back home. My desk, my clothes, my pictures and all of my posters, which were upside down. I laughed and fixed them before going down for our welcome home dinner.

The days flew by without James who, according to Dad, was on a business trip but he didn't know with whom or for what.

- I can't believe it's been like five years since he started working and we have no idea in what! - I complained but my dad just chuckled. Christmas Eve finally arrived and at around two in the afternoon we heard the door close and heard James' familiar footsteps walk through the living room. I ran downstairs as fast as I could and hugged him so hard I dropped him to the floor. He hugged me back and laughed as May Belle threw herself on top of us. We heard the click of a camera and the chuckle of my Dad. We stood up between laughs and hugged once more before walking to the kitchen. My dad walked to us and showed us the picture. James was on the floor, laughing, his brunette hair was longer and his smile was as radiant as it always was. I was laughing as well, my head resting on his chest and May was on top of James, smiling at him. James was hugging us both very tight. I smiled at the picture and hugged him again.

- I want that picture - James said and I nodded - I missed you girls. A house full of boys is just not as fun

- Really? I thought you'd be jumping with joy.

- Nah. I miss my little sisters - he hugged us tighter - and now that you're here - he let go of May and looked at me straight in the eyes - Please cook something! Dad has done his best but it is just not enough! - I cracked up with laughter and rubbed his cheek

- Come on, Dad. I'm gonna show you how to really cook. - he laughed and followed me. We spent a few hours in the kitchen, laughing and hearing J's anecdotes of Dad's intents of cooking, which always ended in ordering pizza and drinking wine. Then came our turn to tell anecdotes and how had our first few months of class been. May began of course. She told them about her friends and how popular she was and how many love notes she had received. James and I chuckled at Dad's expression.

- Don't worry, Dad. I think I'm done with boyfriends for a while. I'm only nine years old. It's not like I'm gonna get married at twelve! - my dad chocked on his drink and James and I looked at each other before laughing. May smiled and left with Dad to help him clean up. That left us, James and me, alone in the kitchen.

- Who's the guy? - I looked at him.

- What?

- Who's the guy?

- There's no guy - I said with certainty, though I'm pretty sure my face gave the lie away. He chuckled and shook his head.

- Come on, Ash. I know you. You're my little sister. I know when something's going on and I know when you're lying. So, who's the guy? - he said and leaned on the kitchen table, holding his glass with his hand, staring down at me. I sighed, knowing that to be true. I walked to where he was and sat on a chair beside him.