Chapter Eight

- William Shakespeare. The most iconic man in English Literature. Does anyone know when he was born? - Mr. Wrinkler asked. He was our English teacher. A medium sized, funny looking man. He always dressed very formarly to class and never raised his tone of voice. No one raised their hands. I sighed and raised mine.

- Yes. Ms. Williams?

- April 26th, 1564. What? I'm a big fan of the guy - I added when everyone was staring at me like I was a big freak.

- Thank You, Ms. Williams - Mr. Wrinkler said - Now. Many people believed William Shakespeare's plays would be forgotten in time. Too much tragedy and death, Romance? Yes. But still too much death. Not a good bed time story to tell their children - I heard someone chuckle. I turned around to see Brent smiling, playing with his pencil. I rolled my eyes and looked at Mr. Wrinkler, who had ignored Brent's idiotic sense of humor. - Today, his stories, or plays as we now call them, are the ones of most value and popularity that history has ever known. Too many versions have been written, too many times has theater brought them to life. Dear God! Even movies are going to be made! - he smiled. I looked around the class. Some students were drooling on their seats, others were drawing, hiding their headphones as they listened to music, or playing with their pencils. I rolled my eyes. This class was by far the most interesting class of all. We were covering Shakespeare for the entire semester! - Who can tell me? Which is the most known Shakespearian play? - I looked around. No one raised their hands, they just looked at each other pleading for help. I rolled my eyes and raised my hand.

- Ms. Williams!

- Romeo and Juliet. Although Hamlet is very well known. - Mr. Wrinkler smiled. I sank into my seat and nodded.

- Thank You, again - he sighed - Really children. William Shakespeare is an icon here in England. How can you not know anything about him? - he turned around and wrote Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet on the board.

- Now. Last question. Who can tell me the three Shakespeare plays written entirely in verse? Anyone? - he added looking around the classroom. He sighed and opened his mouth to speak, but didn't. He raised his eyebrows and took of his glasses.

- My. My. Mr. Johnson? - I abruptly woke up from my ten second nap and sat up on my seat. I turned around. I couldn't believe my eyes. Brent had his hand up. He smiled as the teacher signaled him to say what he so desperate wanted to hear.

- Firstly Mr. Wrinkler, there are only two plays written entirely in verse. They are Richard II and King John. - he grinned at the look on the teacher's face. It had lit up, with excitement, but his eyes showed some confusion. I turned to face the teacher in shock but turned to look back at him, to make sure I wasn't day dreaming in class. He catched me staring at him, raised his eyebrows and grinned, proud of what he had done.

- Thank You, Mr. Johnson. See, children? Anyone can know the answer - I let out a small chuckle. Surprisingly, so did Brent. He touched his forehead with one finger. After a few seconds I understood what he was saying: 'smart'. I smiled and sat back into my seat, catching a small smile from him.

- Now. As I was saying before, William Shakespeare was-- Mr. Wrinkler's fascinating story was interrupted by the sound of the bell, notifying we had a three minute break before our next class. Everyone woke up from their naps, grabbed their stuff and ran out the door. I grabbed my notebook, put it inside my bag and grabbed my blazer.

- See you tomorrow, Mr. Wrinkler! - I said to the guy before leaving the classroom. He nodded and smiled. I walked to my locker, opened it and put my blazer and school bag inside so I had my hands free to take off my jumper. The school's heat was at its max!

- Doing striptease now? Ey? - a familiar voice said behind me. I ignored it and pulled my jumper through my head. I threw it inside my bag and put my blazer back on.