zero

Letting out a tired sigh, I collapsed onto my futon couch, and lazily kept my eyes on the TV. My calico cat, Nyla, curled up next to me, her purring pouring into my ear. I gave her a quick rub and kiss and focused my attention back on the TV.

From a distance, I heard my roommate call, "Chloe, your mail's on the coffee table!"

Nodding, I spoke a brief 'thank you' and picked up the sealed letters.

Most of them were bills and bills and more bills, until one of them caught my eye. The way my name was writing was so vague, but awfully familiar.

Curious, I ripped open, and nearly pissed my pants.

Chloe Lukasiak,

You are officially invited to the wedding of

Zack Torres

And

Kendall Vertes

Underneath, the venue and time were listed, along with the information to RSVP with.

My first instinct was to act like I had never revived the invitation. It would be a hell of a lot easier to act like I never got it than to face the people I hadn't seen in nearly three years.

But I knew I couldn't keep running. It has basically what I had been doing for the past four and a half years. It wasn't fair to me, or the people around me.

But I didn't wanna see him.

God, why was I still thinking about him? I got my heart shattered by him years ago, yet he never fails to linger in my mind when I least expect it.

"What do you think, Ny," I questioned, scratching my cat's ears. "Should I go?"

As expected, she didn't reply, but instead started rubbing against my face. I giggled and pulled back, but sighed after, and ran some frustrated fingers through my light blonde hair.

"And I'm asking my cat for advice," I muttered. "How sad can my life get to?"

"Talking to the cat again?" My roommate's voice suddenly appeared, along with her.

She wore a black sequined dress, that came down to just about her mid-thigh. She wore heavy eye makeup, and black sparkly heels that matched her dress perfectly. They just made her legs look even longer than they already were. She ran some fingers through her wavy chestnut hair, and went to check herself in the mirror we had hanging in the doorway.

"What else would I be doing, Kalani?" I replied sarcastically.

Kalani shrugged, then turning to me. "Whatever. I'm going out, but don't forget to pay your half of the rent while I'm gone!"

And with that comment, she was out the door.

I stared back down at the invitation, seriously contemplating my life. I closed my eyes, and came to a decision.

"Okay, Ny," I mumbled, starting to search my pocket. "Heads I go, tails I don't."

I then proceeded to flip the coin.

It felt like the longest three seconds of my life. This would determine where I would be for the next few weeks, and who I would reunite with.

When it landed, I anxiously hovered over it, silently going for tails.

But lucky me got heads.