epilogue | it's now or never, chlo

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Josh questioned, concern laced in his voice.

Truth be told, I wasn't positive. Sure, I was the one who called the Private Investigator and felt like it was time to find the rest of my past.

I clenched my already sweat-filled palms as I stared at the house. It seemed normal enough. One-story high, creamed colored. Of course she would have chosen this house. It was the definition of normal.

"I am," I spoke confidently. "I have to be. I just wish Zack agreed come with us."

"He's still angry. I don't think he'll ever get over what she did."

Josh glanced down at my hand before grasping it in his. I attempted to ignore the fact that my palms were starting to grow sweaty, but I was far too focused on the fact that I was finally gonna be able to talk to her after all those years.

Josh was the first one to walk first. He began to pull me along, because he was aware of I wouldn't do it then, then my opportunity would likely never come again.

Sooner than I'd hoped, we were at the front door, and my finger lingered over the door bell. I couldn't press myself to press it.

"Chlo?" Josh asked, tilting his head to the side.

"This was a bad idea," I breathed, going to turn around. "We should go."

Before I was able to, Josh had grabbed hold of my arm. "You said it yourself, Chlo," he told me. "It's now or never."

Internally groaning, I yanked my arm from him and pressed down on the doorbell without further thinking.

We waited for a few moments before the door was pulled open. What was revealed was a man who looked to be in his mid to late thirties. He had tousled chocolate hair and wide crystal eyes, with a pen resting behind his ear.

"Can I help you?" He asked, noticing our silence.

Josh gave me a nudge, earning a small jump from me. "Actually, yes," I replied. "Does a Meredith Miller happen to live here?"

The man sighed before opening the door wider. "Why don't you two come on in."

The house was bigger on the inside. It had a spacious kitchen and a snug living room.

The man had sat us down at the kitchen table and offered us water. Josh and I both declined.

Finally, the man sat before us, letting out a heavy sigh as he did so. "I'm Toby. What can I do for y'all?"

"I'm Chloe, and this is my boyfriend Josh," I introduced. "And...uh."

Under the table, Josh gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Well, I'm not really sure how to go about this, but," I paused when Josh grabbed my hand. "Meredith is my mother."

Toby let a chucked escape his lips, rubbing the little scruff he had on his chin. "Is that so?"

I nodded. "It is. Do you know where she is, because I really need to speak with her."