Lesson #6: Getting Caught Off Your Guard

Dear Darlings,

As you all know I like control. I like to have every aspect of my life planned out and sometimes that just doesn't happen. Sometimes you get surprises that you never wanted, and sometimes they can be okay. If this happens to you then remain calm! Take a deep breath and pull yourself together because no one is allowed to see you sweat.  And then come tell me to do the same thing because I'm freaking out.

            Xoxo,                              

            Cassie

***

            Tuesdays are Kate and her boyfriend's date night. It has been like this for years. This means that I usually stay home and have take out for dinner in my onesie with a big glass of wine.

            It's my favourite night.

            I walked around the kitchen in my slippers and poored the wine into my glass. The sounds of trashy television was playing in the background and I was in my happy place.

            I was halfway through my show when I heard the dreaded sound of a knock on the door. I jumped to my feet and ran to the front of the house, my blanket dragging along behind me.

            I peeked through the hole and my mouth dropped open in shock. Calum spun around anxiously, a bag of food gripped in his right hand.

            "What is he doing here?" I whispered.

            I looked down at my onesie and sighed.

            This was not part of my plan.

            I didn't even have makeup on.

            I pulled the door open and peeked outside with an impish grin.         

            "Hello," I hummed.

            "Hey," He beamed. "I was afraid you weren't going to be home."

            "I am," I sighed, opening the door a bit more.

            "Can I come in?" He asked, holding up the bag. "I brought Chinese."

            My stomach growled angrily when my brain warned me not to let him in. I told them both to be quiet and pulled the door open for him to step inside.

            "Nice jammies," He smirked.

            "I wasn't expecting company," I shot back, taking the bag out of his arms. I clutched it to my chest and shuffled into the kitchen as quick as I could.

            Mama needs some food.

            I dug around in my cupboards and handed Calum a plate and a glass.

            "Help yourself to the fridge," I said, pulling the food out of the bag.

            He grabbed the water pitcher and placed it on the table in front of me.

            We ate dinner on the couch and I sipped at my wine a lot slower. Gotta have class and all that crap.

            The food was actually really good. I scarfed it down with the chopsticks and watched the rest of my show while Calum chewed beside me quietly.

            It was weird sitting in silence eating together. This seemed like something that Kate and her boyfriend did.

            I've never done it.