Chapter 2- Catching Up

Annie's POV

Every year, Caleb and I host a ball for our sister and parents who have died. Right now, everyone is getting set up for the event in a few days.

I look in the mirror. I wear my most beautiful dress on this day to represent them. I love and miss my family so much. I'm happy that I still have Caleb with me.

I brush my long brown hair when my best friend Katie comes in the room.

"Annie!" She comes to hug me.

"Katie!" I hug back.

"It has been way too long!" She smiles.

"It has only been two months! How was your vacation?" I ask her.

"Oh it was great, I wish you could have came, but I understand that you had to stay here."

"Oh I've missed you so much Kate." I hug her as much as I could.

"Let's go find some chocolate." We rush to the kitchen like little kids.

A little while later Katie and I are sitting on the dock talking. We watch as the sunset goes and the waves crash gently on the rocks.

"What are your brothers up to?" I ask.

"Well, Brennan is off doing his sports and such, while Ryan likes to travel. He's actually off on a small trip to one of the villages near by. But don't worry, he'll be back before the party." Katie smiles.

"That's great." I hug her and we go back inside the castle.

Katie goes home so I look for Caleb.

"Caleb, are you in here?" I ask walking into his office. He's been busy lately since he's been king.

"Yeah, I'm a bit busy, Annie." He says with a tired voice.

"Caleb, you sound and look tired. Go get some rest."

"No, no, I'm fine. I need to finish this." He tries to push me away.

"Caleb, you are always up here working. I'll keep you company." I try to help.

"I'm sorry Annie, I can't have any distractions.
Please just go to your room or something." He says with a harsh voice.

I hide my sadness and slowly walk out of the room. Tears drop and I lean my head back on the wall.

What happened to sweet, playful, and goofy  Caleb?