The Key

At the day of Alex’s funeral, his mom noticed the key that Alex gave me, she then asked me to come with her at one of their family’s cottage not far from their original house. I followed her to the second floor of the house.

“I believe that you have the key to this door Phoebe,” Alex’s mother said when we finally stopped in front of a door located at the very end of the hallway.

“Thank you ma’am,” as Alex’s mother walked away and left me. I opened the door using the key that Alex’s gave me, I pushed the door wide as I entered the unlighted room.

The door behind me suddenly closed on its own and every single light in the room came into life, just like the string lights Alex arranged on the day before my birthday.

I looked around and to my surprised the room was full of paintings hanged on the white wall; every corner, every side.

There’s a painting of a little girl and a boy at a farm holding hands, they looked so happy together, smiling so innocently. There’s also a small girl crying inside of a barn and a very sad little boy peaking from the outside.

A painting of the river at sunset, at the evening, at noon, at the afternoon and a there’s a blank paper. He hasn’t got the chance to paint the river at dusk.

I moaned as I continued to walk along and looked at the paintings.

A girl leaning her back on a tree trunk staring at the river in front of her.

I started crying even harder, all of these; these are all memories of me and Alex.

And then there are paintings of me, a lot. Me smiling, me sleeping, me crying, me laughing…

At the far corner of the room there’s this one painting separated from the others and as I got near it I finally saw it. It is a painting of two lovers seated on the ground full of white snow, leaning on a trunk, holding each other’s hands.

“Hello Phoebe,” Alex’s voice rang out of nowhere, I looked around looking for him but he was not anywhere. When I looked at a blank white wall I saw his face smiling at me.

It was just a recording.

“Alex…” I spoke the name as if he was beside me comforting me. My knees felt so weak I couldn’t stand. I sat on the floor watching the video.

The Alex on the video was crying, that was the very first time I saw him cry, tears are coming out from his green eyes. It breaks my heart so much but I still continued to watch.

“Thank you,” he said, “for teaching me how to love and be loved. All of the times we were together are the happiest time of my life. I’ll treasure them forever. I’m so sorry for not letting you know everything, but I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’m sorry for leaving you so early, you know I don’t want to, but I don’t have any choice. I always tell to myself, if only… If only I was not sick we can be together until we grow old, we can have children, we would die so old together. But that’s not the case, I’m sorry for being sick, for making you cry and suffer so much.”

He smiled, “I love you, just always remember that I’ll always be beside you all the time, although I’m not with you physically, I’ll always be around you just like the wind.”

“Thank you Alex,” I whispered, although I can’t see him, I know he could hear me.

I cried not because I was sad but because I’m happy, because I know that he’ll always protect me wherever I am.

And then the video ended.