String Lights

Tomorrow, June twenty-eighth was my birthday, and after ten years, Alex was going to be a part of my birthday again. I’m so excited to meet him, I was thinking of a possible gift he would give me tomorrow on my special day. 

I woke up so early on the twenty-seventh of June, looking forward to see Alex. I thought that today was going to be just an ordinary day. But I was wrong. I went by the river bank around one in the afternoon. I waited for Alex for what seems like forever. But nothing.

It was already around seven in the evening, the sky was full of stars twinkling from above, the moon appeared to be closer and gigantic than it usually be. I wanted to cry, Alex knew that tomorrow’s my birthday and yet he just left me here waiting for him in the cold autumn night.

 Before I even knew it, tears are streaming from my eyes down to my cold, red cheeks. I suddenly heard a bam somewhere above me and when I look at the sky, there are fireworks everywhere. I looked to my left, to my right. Nothing. And then I looked at my back, and there he is, standing for about thirty-five feet from my back and behind him was a table with candle lights, two chairs on both ends of the table stands. 

“Sorry I’m late,” he said looking at me apologetically.

I slowly stood up. My feeling are all mixed up, I don’t know what to do. Before he appeared I was planning on slapping him really hard but—well, do I really have to explain it? As I made my first step towards him there were lights everywhere, string lights to be exact, they were hung on the trees around us which made the whole scene utterly romantic. My legs suddenly felt weak but I tried to pull myself together and made another step. Then there were another line of string lights that came to life and this time there were aligned on the side of the red carpet in front of me—which I didn’t noticed awhile ago—starting from where I stood, and ending up to where Alex was standing.

Still with cold feet, I walked slowly following the red carpet and string lights. And after for what seemed like a thousand feet away, I’ve finally reached Alex. I looked up to see his twinkling eyes staring at me.

“You crazy, stupid, jerk,” tears are starting to made their way out of the corner of my eyes again, “I hate you!” was all that I could managed to end my sentence with my hoarse voice.

“I know, and I’m sorry,” he said, his voice was so sweet, gentle and warm. But I couldn’t just lose my anger so fast.

I punched his chest the best I could, “Do you know how long I’ve waited for you here?” I looked at my watch and turned back at him, starting at him with my angry expression, “seven hours! I’ve waited here for seven hours and it’s so freaking cold, and…You’re so stupid, I really hate—,” but before I could finished what I’m about to say, Alex held my chin up, pulled me closer to his body and pressed his warm lips against mine.

I was really shocked, I don’t know what to do, this is our first kiss, I thought to myself. I was in panicked, but before I could think of something to do, Alex gently pulled back. I looked at his green eyes, and the longer I looked at them the calmer I get. 

“Happy birthday, Phoebe,” he whispered.

I smiled, then I let him pull me closer to him again, as he slightly parted my lips and kissed me slowly, so gently, so passionately that I almost melted.

Happiest birthday ever, I thought to myself as the fireworks above us glittered on the starry sky.