Day Two Hundred and Fifteen

I wasn't important to you anymore, at least that's how it seemed. One of every two days you used to spend with me was replaced by your time with her, and while I wanted you to be happy I still wished you and I were together.

She was lovely, I came to find. And to my dismay, she was perfect for you. She had cherry blond hair and it waved in the wind, and her eyes changed from blue to green each day. She had a laugh that made you grin and habits you found adorable, and she fed your reading addiction by suggesting books every day.

Her and I never became friends, but we weren't cruel to one another. We spoke when it was needed but didn't reach out to each other. It seemed that there was this invisible wall that separated girlfriend from ex girlfriend, and we were determined to stay on our own side.

You stayed on one side of the wall as well, but not the side I was on. Over time you and I fell apart, drifting farther and farther until our weekly movie nights only happened every other week and continued to lessen. And when you were with me you never seemed happy, you always seemed to be thinking about something else. Eventually I just gave up.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I wanted her gone. I knew she made you happy but I had this idea that I could still make you happy if you gave me the chance. She was just getting in there way, and I wasn't going to act on it but I just didn't want her to be near you. I woke up every morning wondering if you two had broken up yet. And then I wondered if you'd run to me if you did.

One night in particular, you called me. You were frustrated with her for a reason I cannot recall, but you were screaming and on the verge of tears. I guess I saw my opportunity, because I asked:

"So, why don't you break up with her?"

You chuckled, you mood appearing to have improved. "I'm not giving up on her," you said, "I like her too much for that."

But you don't love her, I wanted to say, not like you once loved me.

A/n- written on an iPhone and unedited.