The Day Stephen Got Away

As a child
You hold bad things
At bay with fantasy

But as a man
You can't play fast
And loose with the truth

My name was Judas
____________________

LUCIAN

As I rode away from my home I heard Scarlet screaming my name. There was no turning back. I had to find Stephen and when I did. He was dead.

I urged my horse faster. I finally got to the house he was staying. I'd thought my anger would have calmed down but it only heightened.

I walked up to the door and stopped the butler before he had a chance to greet me. I kicked the door. Servants were covering up the furniture.

"Where is Stephen!!" I yelled at them.

"He left sir. Must be by the docks by now" one of the servants answered timidly.

I stalked out of the house. I jumped on my horse. I raced to the docks. I prayed I caught him.

When I got to the docks the last rope fell. I was too late but not to late to not have caught Stephen's eye.

He stood at the railing with a smirk. Bastard!

"Au Revoir Lucian" he blew a kiss at me.

The nerves of the scoundrel.

"You're dead Stephen. You're a dead man!" I yelled at him.

I looked him dead in the eye till I could no longer see the ship. People were staring at me but I did not care.

I got on my horse and rode home. I failed. I failed Scarlet. I failed Mary. Stephen had gotten away and I know that he would be back.

I can't live with myself knowing that my wife would be living in fear. Constant fear. Fear of her own life and of our daughter.

I needed to be alone with my thoughts. I got of the horse as we walked through the gate. I ventured to my parent's graves.

"I don't know what to do. If only you guys were here you would tell me what to do. I miss you both so much. I feel lost. I failed her. I failed the woman I love" I took a deep breath.

I sat for hours till the sunset. It was getting chilly but I did not feel like going in. I couldn't bare the look of disappointment from Scarlet.

Alone in my thoughts. Warm hands and a blanket covered me. Her scent lingered around me. Scarlet.

"Aren't you cold love?" She asked.

"Not anymore" my voice was hoarse.

"I'm glad you didn't hurt him. He's not worth it. He's not worth you loosing sleep over"

I couldn't see her face but her voice was genuine.

"I failed you" I told her.

She came and knelt before me. She took my face in both hands.

"You could never fail me Luc. How can you fail me when you have been nothing but the best husband anyone could ask for. You make me feel wanted, desired, beautiful. You make me happy everyday. So don't you dare say you failed me"

Her words warmed my heart and I knew she meant it. She kissed my brow and hugged me.

"I just want you to be safe. To feel safe. I don't want you living looking over your shoulder. I want .."

I was silenced with her finger on my lip.

"I feel safe knowing that I have you"

She stood up and held out her hand. I took it as she led me to the house.

I literally just wrote this!!!
Hope you like.
So Lucian didn't catch Stephen but knowing Stephen he will be back!!!