Chapter 20

Needleclaw, the shadowclan deputy, came over to stand beside his leader.

"It is a serious matter that needs to be addressed." Needleclaw growled. Runningwish narrowed her eyes at him with distrust.

"Then why have you come with an entire patrol rather than just your deputy and another warrior?" Vineclaw challenged. Thistlestar spat at him.

"Because I wouldn't risk loosing a life trying to resolve a problem!" Thistlestar shot back. Vineclaw only flicked his tail. Runningwish stepped forward.

"Then you can come to the camp if your words are true. Greystar can speak to you there." Runningwish said, holding all the Shadowclan cat's gazes bravely. Thistlestar's ear twitched and she flicked her tail, ordering her warriors to stand down.

"Of course, lead the way." Thistlestar said, walking to Runningwish. The gold footed warrior nodded and nudged her father toward the camp. Vineclaw brushed past her and pelted back to camp with everyone following.

*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*

The patrol walked into the clearing. Some of the clan looked over, many sending hostile or weary looks at the Shadowclan cats.

"Come on Ravenscar, you must rest." Leaftail, Spottedlegs and Lilyflower's mother who had chosen to stay a queen in the nursery than staying as a warrior, ushered Ravenscar inside.

"Leaftail, I'm fine. I want to know what's going on." Ravenscar complained, pushing against Leaftail's gentle nudges. The old queen sighed and backed up.

"Fine, but you're resting later. You're as restless as a kit ever since you and Barkfur got together." Leaftail murmured, sitting down beside the black warrior. Runningwish flicked her tail in amusement. She stopped when she saw Snowstrike walking up to her, watching the Shadowclan cats.

"Voleeye told us of there arrival, I'm surprised he scented them from the camp." Snowstrike said, brushing past her old apprentice.

"Thistlestar only wants to speak with Greystar." Runningwish reported.

"Thank you Runningwish." Snowstrike dissmissed. Runningwish nodded and spotted her sister watching from the warriors den with a few others. She trotted over and sat beside her.

"Why is Thistlestar here?" Goldensky whispered.

"Apparently to share a few words with Greystar." The brown she-cat answered. Goldensky flicked her thick furred tail uneasily.

"Then why does she have such a large patrol with her?" Goldensky asked, her voice sounding very tense. Runningwish glanced at her with suspicion.

"I don't know, she said she would only talk to Greystar. Why are you acting like she is a bager in our camp?" Runningwish asked. Goldensky snapped her gaze to her sister.

"I am not! I- It's just that um..."

"It's just what?" Goldensky looked around.

"Come on, I'll tell you in the forest." She said, racing past her and swerving around the new arrivals and out the fern tunnel. Runningwish followed after her.