Ben Simmons 3

I get home and I hear the house phone ring. I run to it and check the caller ID. My smile disappears when I see that it's an unsaved number.

"Bueno?" I answer the phone.

"Hi, is this Kimberly Luna's residence?"

"Who wishes to speak to her?"

"Javier from English 2332."

"Oh hey Javi, it's me." I say as I take off my backpack and put it by the door. "What's up?"

"Hey, um I was wondering if you wanted to meet up somewhere to start working on the book. At least what it's going to be about?"

I chew my lower lip and check the clock on the wall. Ben's game didn't start until 6 Philly time, which was about 6 hours away, and his call was to be expected any minute. "You know what, I can't do it today. I have a couple of things to do that are just as important as school."

"Damn, what could be as important as school?" Javi asks.

I go over and sit on the couch. "Cosas personales."

"What?"

I was going to translate when the phone started ringing again. I checked it and my heart raced when I saw the ID show Extra Long Aussie Baguette. "Hey, I need to take this incoming call, I'm sorry. I'll see you on Wednesday, or we can work tomorrow."

"Oh okay, see ya."

I didn't even wait for Javi to hang up when I answered Ben's call. "Bueno abuelo."

Ben laughs. "God have I missed you saying that when I get home."

I laugh too, "Okay, first off you've only been gone a day and a half, stop crying. Second, I thought it wasn't going to come out right, I almost forgot how it went."

"Hey these two days away from you have been pretty boring."

I roll my eyes playfully, "Oh sure," I say sarcastically. "Don't lie to me, I've seen your Snap Chat story. Mini golf and batting cages? Not fair." I hold the phone up with my shoulder so I could take off my ponytail.

"Would've been better with you."

"Yeah I would have schooled all of you. Seriously Ben? A strike out? Have I taught you nothing?" I say as I put the hair-tie on my wrist and run my hand through my hair.

"Hey not all of us are the #1 ranked ball player in the world."

"Whatever #1 overall pick." I take the phone back in my right hand.

He chuckles, "Hey Kim."

I curl up against the couch. "Hey Ben, where are you?"

"In the locker room, we just finished shoot around."

I look at the clock to make sure I read the time correctly. "This late?"

"Yeah, well, really just me, Jahlil and TJ. We decided to stay a little later."

"How long is a little?"

"About an hour."

"What? Ben, you should be resting."

"Nah, we'll be fine, I asked coach for permission, don't worry."

I shake my head and smile, "And how did that go?"

"Eh, practice is practice, but I did work on my shot a little more afterward."

"And how did that go? How do you think you did?" I ask, flipping my hair over my shoulder.