00 | how the mighty have fallen

Her heart is played like
well worn strings;
in her eyes
the sadness sings;
of one who was destined
for better things

• • •

SWAN SONG:
SEBASTIAN MICHAELIS

PART ONE

PROLOGUE

A scarlet red stream of blood dropped from her mouth, staining the dirt beneath her battered body.

The pain in her abdomen was almost unbearable and made it seem as if fire was crawling up her skin, searing and branding into her pale flesh. She coughed, successfully forcing that blood that rested in a forbidden place out of her body and to the dirt with the previously fallen droplets as her body grew weak. A heave raked her body forward and forced the girl to her stomach with another sickening cough full of the familiar, metallic taste that had enveloped her taste buds.

Silence surrounded her.

Pain blinded her senses and weakened her to exhaustion.

Foot steps were sparsely heard by the girl as her attacker approached from behind with an sickeningly sweet smile decorating his lips while blood littered his own hands. The culprit stared down at motionless, bloody girl and stuck his boot under her torso, then turned her over on her back to examine what he had done. She was breathing, but barely so. It hurt to even move. A smirk tainted his lips at the sight of his own handy work. Granted, he hadn't done much that would seem recognizable to a pattern beyond a simple, stray murder on the outskirts of London, but he still felt accomplished. He was sure that his victim wouldn't live, he was more than confident.

She knew that he had done enough damage to kill her.

She felt it.

She breathed it.

He placed his foot over her throat, and the once bright blue iris's shot open from beneath him. His victim squirmed under the pressure on her throat for a few moments before she coughed for the fourth time and went limp underneath him, giving him a unintentional, but universal sign that she had surrendered to his tricks and his torture. The lack of movement made him chuckle lightly.

"You had a good run, love. Really, you did." He bent down and wiped a droplet of blood from her cold lips. She let out a long, pain filled breath and writhed under her sudden touch, making him chuckle once again as he stood. "Oh how the mighty have fallen."

His boot harshly connected with her side and she let out strangled sound of agony, still unmoving under his beating by her own control. She wanted to fight back, to say how she was stronger than him, that he was still nothing but a meaningless piece of dirt that had come crawling to her, that she was the reason for how he stood now. She wanted to reciprocate his actions to the point where he would wish for the release of death.

She wanted to go back to her home.

That was where Sebastian was, where he had tried for her. Where he had looked at her with such disappointment that she could've sworn felt his emotions. But he didn't want to believe everything, that's what she wanted to believe herself at least. She wanted to believe that he was out there somewhere looking for her, despite all that had happened. Though the likelihood of that happening was slim to none.

The sheer amount confusion on the servant's faces had been almost heartbreaking. They didnt know what had happened, or why she was running out of the manor. All they could do was stand idly by and watch her flee with questions swirling in their individual minds that she doubted they would ever get the answer to. She wanted to stop in her tracks and tell them that everything was going to be all right, and that she would most definitely be back, but that was the very last thing that she could do, especially now.

"Did you really think that the moment you stepped away from that bratty Earl, I would just watch?" The man kicked her injured side, successfully sending a jolt of fiery pain twanging around her ribcage. "The sheer inevitability of this moment is truly uncanny my dear, because you knew – you knew what would happen. You just didn't want to accept it. Your idiocy is laughable, Aurora."

"J-Just, kill me...already." She choked out. Blood dripped onto her hands, staining her pale, cold skin in a scarlet froth she had suddenly become reacquainted with.

"And allow you that mercy? This is much too fun, darling."

Every kick, every bruise, every small cut that littered her body, she could feel it combine into a fiery agony.

Having him stand before her and inflict these injuries only made it worse, like salt on a fresh wound.

She dug in elbows into the ground and pulled herself forward just as another kick was delivered to her back and sent her face down in the dirt with blood dripping from her lips. A strangled cough fell from her lips, only creating a bigger puddle of blood beneath her quivering, aching body.

Never in her life had she been subjected to this much psychical agony. Taking in a strangled breath, she relaxed into the ground, not upon her own dictation, but upon her body begging for mercy and screaming out exhaustion in a refusal to move.

It was over.

Sebastian wasn't coming; he didn't have any idea of where she was.

Her heartbeat was slowing.

The agony was climaxing.

She coughed and weakly wiped the blood from her lips.

Where are you now Sebastian?