03 | handmaiden

Note: I don't really like leaving notes, especially for this story type, but this will take place before the death of Madam Red, Ciel's aunt, so please do not be surprised when I mention her in the story farther than now. Also, this is more of a filler than anything. Learning more of Aurora etc. Nothing major will take place.

{ UNEDITED }

Outskirts of London, England

The Phantomhive Manor

Aurora could feel her chest sink in on itself when the three arrived at the Phantomhive Manor some time after the agreement had been settled in the middle of that cold, London street. The consequences of her actions had begun ringing through her mind within the first few minutes of being taken with the Earl and his black clad butler. She knew, yet she still agreed to the Earl's terms like she would to any other deal.

She looked down at her pale hands as the carriage was pulled to a stop in front of the manor, then momentarily glanced over at Sebastian before she jumped down onto the ground below. Within seconds, Sebastian was opening the door to the carriage and leading the other two up to the front door of the manor without a word. Aurora would find herself unable to desipher her emotions within herself. The opportunity to take advantage of the situation would be at hand soon or later, but with that butler there, there would be no point to attempt anything – especially after what had happened earlier. Disappointment and anger seethed through her bloodstream the moment she stepped into the manor and was able to briefly look around at the expanse of the room.

"I'll be up to bring your your afternoon tea shortly, Master," Sebastian spoke, drawing her attention away from the wall decorations. He gave a curt now to the small boy as he handed the butler the cane and disappeared up the staircase and out of sight.

Pathetic.

"Come, I'll show you to your quarters and allow you to change into something more appropriate."

Aurora locked eye with the raven haired male, but kept to a silent reply and instead followed him up the stairs and down a few hallways until they stopped at a single, wooden door. Beyond the room were two beds separated by a wooden nightstand that held a single candelabra and a set of two books. There were two dressers, one looking two be newer than the other, and a single mirror that was catty cornered just beyond the fire place that was placed on the same wall as the mirror, between the two beds. A black and white maids uniform was folded up on the bed, as if they had been waiting for her arrival, along with a pair of boots at the foot of the bed.

"You'll be sharing this space with our other maid," he told her. "For the most part, I have been graced with the honor of teaching you how your chores will work, as the possibility of you being left alone is slim to none I'm afraid."

"You sound overjoyed, please don't strain yourself too much, dear." Aurora sneered, narrowing her eyes up at the butler.

His eyes glossed over with irritation, but he remained composed. "I'll allow you to change into your uniform, please be quick. Afterwards, we'll be cutting your hair and going over what your fault chores will be."

The door softly shut behind his retreating figure seconds later, leaving Aurora alone in the unfiltered silence that drove itself through the room. She narrowed her eyes at the door. No doubt he was standing in the other side. Her eyes then turned to the window. There wasn't something hard enough to break through it, and there was no way to open it otherwise without that butler hearing her attempt her escape. What would she even achieve by trying to escape?

Heaving a long sigh, Aurora stripped from her black clothing and pulled on the dress and other necessities with little trouble. The change from tighter pants, skirts with shirts, and shorter dresses, to a calf length dress was slightly uncomfortable and felt strange without a warm cloak thrown over her body. She picked up the lace frill that was supposed to be worn in her hair and scrunched her nose up at it. The frill was dropped onto the bed as Aurora caught her reflection in the mirror across the room. She didn't look like herself, being dressed up in a maid's uniform.