11 ~ Out Like That

"I've never been good at these events," Damien said as the taxi pulled up outside Devon Hall and he peered out at the bright lights of the party building.

"It's fine, they're not all awful, I promise," Clarissa said as she handed over the money for the taxi and Damien got out, holding out a hand and helping her out as she smoothed out her red dress and readjusted her silk shawl across her arms.

"Don't you ever find these things intimidating?" he asked as she slipped her arm around his and they made their way up the steps towards the music and voices that spilled from the main hall.

"No but then I've grown up around a lot of these people," she said, right before they stepped into the entrance hall to meet the usual swarm of guests in glittering clothes, holding half-filled glasses and tasty nibbles, their voices loud and vibrant.

People waved and blew kisses in welcome to Clarissa as she smiled at them, tightening her arm around Damien as he looked around.

"Classy, you came!" someone called.

"Hey Samantha," she said, detaching herself from Damien and kissing Samantha's cheeks.

"How was your holiday?"

"Amazing, we must go together at some point. Hey Paul!"

"Hey sweetie, welcome back," Paul said, giving her a hug before smiling at Damien. "You're Cillian O'Catháin, right?" he asked, holding out a hand.

"Yeah, hi," Damien said, shaking it.

"This is Samantha and Paul. This is, as you said, Cillian O'Catháin," Clarissa said.

"Damien is fine though," Damien quickly said.

"Damien?" Paul copied.

"My first name," Damien explained.

"Ah right. So, I hear you've got a new sponsor."

"That didn't take long to spread, I only signed the contract a few days ago."

As the men drew into their own conversation about boxing in general, drawing the attention of others around them, Samantha drew Clarissa aside and muttered, "Brett's here by the way."

"Yeah I figured he would be," Clarissa said, her eyes already scanning the crowd. "Any idea where?"

"No, I think he's up playing pool with some of the guys but he was asking after you."

"Me? Seriously?"

Samantha nodded.

"Any idea why?"

"No clue, he wouldn't say but I wouldn't be surprised if he found you. Lucinda is here as well."

"As his date?"

"Alone actually."

Clarissa looked at her in surprise. "Now that's interesting," she muttered. "Does Brett have a date?"

"Nope, came alone as well."

"The man who always comes to this events with a date turns up dateless?"

"As he has for the last two parties while you were away."

"Maybe his reputation finally turned sour," Clarissa said just as she spotted Lucinda in the crowd, watching her.

They eyed each other for a moment, then Clarissa nodded to her and Lucinda took the opening to approach.

"Hello Luci," Clarissa said, smiling.

"Hi, Clarissa, how was your holiday?"

"Amazing, you should go sometime."

"I'll think about it, not a fan of the cold weather."