Eren x Reader - Young Heart

It's been three years. Three whole years since you first had a taste of the loneliness the world had to offer. Three; you found out how small you were. Three; your bones are brittle and you can't do anything. Three; you're still alone. 

So you sat alone in your bed, eyes dried, but thoughts soaked in memories. Your mother, your father, the loved ones who had left, and you couldn't weep. Maybe it was because you weren't strong enough to do so. Either way, you were alone and it was your birthday.

You had bought a small cake—which costed an extreme amount, due to the lack of necessary things to make it—and placed the candles you had purchased into it. Finding a lighter, you lit them and sighed. A year older, and nothing meaningful had happened.

There was nothing left to do. You took a deep breath. Blow out all the candles, blow out all the candles. With a release of your hot breath, the small lights disappeared, leaving you in complete darkness. It was stupid to have turned out the lights for such a dismal occasion. Eighteen, the years had tolled and now you were here. 

Grabbing your fork, you stuck it in the moist treat. You took a bite. It was sweet. You dropped the fork on the table and looked down at your lap. A few crumbs were sitting there, on your dress. A single bite and you had already made such a mess. You rested your forehead on the table and shut your wet eyes. 

A loud thump came from outside. You jumped up and ran to the window, peering out. You saw a man in uniform—more like a boy in uniform, but still. Two men were running away and he was watching them, his posture showing nothing but confidence. 

You ran over to the door and unlocked it, swinging it open and running out. The boy looked at you, surprised that you were awake. It was a reasonable reaction. The lights were out and it was late, most would think that you were asleep. 

"Good night, Sir." You said, trying to match your greeting to the time of the day. You hadn't noticed it, but your greeting was more of a  valediction.

"Did you come out here just to say goodbye?" He asked, confused.

You shook your head. "No, sorry for the confusion. Hi, I'm ______." You said, seemingly earnest for the words of this male. 

"Oh, I'm Eren."

"Hello, Eren." 

He looked back to the ground and then back to you. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

You hummed for a moment before responding. "What were you doing here?"

"Oh," He said, surprised that you asked, "Those guys were trying to break in, so I stopped them." He said, pointing towards the direction they had run in. 

"Thank you for that."

Not knowing what to say, the two of you shifted gazes every so often and kept still. He broke the silence. "Well, Goodnight- er, Goodbye-"

"Wait!" You said, not wanting him to leave just yet.

"Hmm?"

"Could- could you stay with me for a few minutes at the least?" You asked, fiddling with your hair and looking down at your dress. The crumbs were gone, they must have fallen off when you rushed to the window. 

"I have to get back to camp. I'm sorry, miss, but we're supposed to be doing late night training. I'm not even supposed to be this far out in the city." He seemed a little put down at the circumstances. 

"I understand." You muttered. 

"Once again, I'm sorry."

"It's fine, please go." 

Without another word, he left. 

You kept your eyes on the ground, listening to the pops of the rocks he stepped on, then the brushing of the grass. At last, he was gone, and you were alone. On your birthday and with no one. You took heavy steps to your house, shutting the door once you were inside. 

Without the energy to walk back to your room, you slid down against the door and curled yourself up. This time, you allowed yourself to sob. Your face was wet with warm tears, and one dropped down to your lip, and you could taste the salt in it, which reminded you of how bitter this was. 

~~~~~~~~~

This is terrible, I'm sorry. 

It doesn't even fit with the song I was listening to while writing. The title is from the song as well, and it makes even less sense.