Chapter Five: Helpless

NICO'S POV

I look at Jack. He is looking peaceful. His eyebrows aren't furrowed, and the bullet wound on his arm is almost all the way closed up.

It's been three months sense he went into it. I bet he's so bored, now that he is aware. He's probably staring at the ceiling, unable to do anything else. I walk over to him.

"Are you bored? I bet you are. I bet you're trapped in your own thoughts. And you have been more weeks. I'm sorry that I'm such a bad father. I didn't catch you when you feel. Now you've almost lost your life, and I've almost lost a loved one. I love you so much, Jack. Keep fighting."

I can almost feel him smiling.

The doctor comes in, and asks me to leave. I say my goodbyes, and leave for the night.

The next morning, Will wakes me up at the butt crack of dawn. I yawn, and sit up.

"The hospital called last night. Jack's awake!"

JACK'S POV

I lay in absolute silence. I hate it! I normally like isolation, but I can at least listen to music or something. This is lame.

I felt helpless as my cousin and parents proclaimed their love and guilt for me. I wanted to hug them and tell them that it was my fault thinking I could win, overestimating myself, being clumsy. God, I'm a klutz! I almost killed myself, according to dad, who told me my heart stopped and I was DEAD for a bit. Like, gods I always knew I'd die because I tripped. Out of anything that could have happened, I fricking tripped.

I doubt I'm ever going to wake up. My body is useless. I'll die. I want to live, to see everyone again. But I also want to die. I could escape reality. I could see the afterlife.

As I drift off into my own thoughts, I feel my eyes snap open. I can see the world more clear! I turn my stiff head, and I look at the doctor. She smiles at me. "You've awoken. I didn't think you would..."

I try to talk, but my voice won't work. So instead, I nod.

She calls my parents and some other people.

After what feels like a few seconds, I hear the door slam open and a girl come rushing in. "OH MY GODS YOU'RE AWAKE!" Says Melody, and wraps her arms around me. As she squeezes me, I open my mouth to say Can't breathe, but no words come out.

My parents run into the room, and we have a small reunion.

This used to be really emotional, but YA KNOW IT ALL GOT DELETED AND YEAH -_- I was too lazy to rewrite it and I'm feeling really angry right now :( >:(

On the way home, Melody refuses to let go of my arm. When we get out of the car, I slip on ice. She makes absolute SURE that I don't hit my head. She practically carries me to the living room.

I can't complain, because my voice isn't working still.

"Jack, why aren't you talking?"

I try to talk, but nothing comes out again. I shrug.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

I nod.

"Nico, Will!" She calls. They come into the room.

"What?" Says papa.

"Do you know what's wrong with his voice?"

"I don't know. I'll ask to make an inspection at the hospital today." He says, pulling out his phone. He gets on a call, and exits the room. Dad follows.

I am left alone with no one but Melody.