You're The Reason Why I Smile

After school, James and Miranda met in their old playground. Miranda saw James sitting on the swinging waving at her. Miranda put on her best smile.

"Miranda, I'm really glad you came today. It's been such a long time."

"It has, James. I mean look at us. We're different people now."

"But that didn't change anything. It never changed the way I feel about you. Moving on, would you tell me why you have a bruise on your cheek?"

Miranda moved away, "Oh it's nothing to worry about. Why are you so concerned? It's just a small bruise.."

James moved closer. "It concerns me alot. Just tell me, I couldn't bare to see anyone hurting you."

A tear fell down Miranda's cheek but she wiped it away immidiately.

"It was my dad okay. He just had a couple of drinks this morning... I couldn't bare watching him lose himself. Well, after mom died, he just hasn't been the same ever since."

James' expression turned to sadness. He left his place and hugged Miranda to comfort her.

"I'm sorry Miranda."

Miranda stared at him and asked him what for.

"I'm sorry for being such a bad friend. I let you handle this on your own. I wish I could've been there to protect you"

Miranda had another tear roll down her cheek. "James, it isn't your fault. You didn't know until now. It's okay."

"Miranda, it isn't your fault. It's really mine. I wish I should've kept my eyes on you. I am such an awful friend and I hope you forgive me."

"James, I said it's alright. But what makes me sad is, the fact that I don't know what to live for. I mean, look. My mother's dead and my father hates me! What's there to live for?"

James grabbed Miranda's hand and danced her around merrily.

"Miranda, what are you talking about? You have me! Remember what we said right? Best friends forever, we'll have each other's back until the end of time."

James held Miranda close to him. Miranda felt shy for this but James made sure she was close enough. Seconds later, he kissed her. It was the most romantic feeling they have ever felt in their lives.