Lost and Found

Dinner was a sumptuous affair. There was everything a kid could hope for, just looking at the overflowed table made my mouth water and my stomach growl.

"Don't be shy now, darling." Peter chuckled. "Go on ahead and stuff yourself." And for the first time in my life, I think I actually listened to someone.

The boys were loud and raucous, joking and playing , flinging bits of food at each other. They looked up to Peter, too. I could always see them looking to him for approval, and he was much more relaxed, though his dark eyes glinted with mischief. He fooled around right alongside them, like he was one of them, not some psychotic monster.

And some of them, though tentatively, included me too in the conversation. I told them stories about the world I came from, they came from there too of course, but they have been here for a very, very long time, and they didn't even know what a microwave was.

And in turn, they told me stories of their own, their life story, of how they came to Neverland. Strange, I know, how they all seemed to trust me even though I had tried to kill them, and we barely knew each other. But, we were family now, it would seem. Even  I could feel to bond I had with them, for they too were just the same as I.

Lost.

Their stories were horrific, each one more terrible than the other. All of them had been alone for their whole lives, until Pan took them in. Many of them expressed that they had finally felt like they had a family, a home here. Would I feel the same as them after some time on Neverland?

After dinner, we gathered around the campfire. Oh, god. We weren't about to have a sing'along around the campfire while roasting marshmallows were we? Thankfully, that wasn't the case.

They boys were tittering about as usual, when a sudden silence fell over the entire camp. Then, all of them formed a circle around the campfire.

And started to dance.

I realised why. There was an unearthly music coming from somewhere, I desperately searched for the source of that hauntingly beautiful music, only to be faced with Peter Pan, with a flute to his lips.

This was the music of my dream. Every note washed over me, I staggered back, sitting on the log. The music told my story, of the mother I had lost, the burdens that I have carried my entire life, and the choice that I was about to make that would change my entire life.

More importantly, it felt like home.

I had been fighting the urge to dance, now for quite some time. On the first night in the mortal world, I hadn't given a second thought to why I was dancing. I just... did.

Now the urge, that pull of the universe that whispered in my ear, telling me to dance was unbearable. I got up from my log, when I caught sight of Pan. He had a malicious sort of triumph in his eyes, a kind of pride that I couldn't quite describe. Pan wanted me to dance. This was a test, a test to see whether I could go home or not.

I couldn't let him win.

Pan sensed my hesitation, and the magic of the flute grew stronger, the music steadily becoming louder. The flames of the fire slowly rose, until it was nearly ten feet high. The boys dancing became haphazard, with no rhythm whatsoever, and they were hooting and whooping like a pack of wild animals.

Pan's brows furrowed even more, as our wills clashed, each trying to outdo the other. Finally, I gave in. I figured, the only people who could hear the flute's music were Lost, and I was definitely Lost.

I joined the boys, whooping and screeching, and there was a sort of mad gleam in their eyes, and I suspected I had a similar look in mine. But I didn't care.

It felt good to have a home.

Peter Pan's P.O.V.

I have never seen anyone resist the flute for so long. Pure obstinance and stubbornness was the only thing stopping her from bolting from the log to go dance with the other boys. I watched her dance in the moonlight, hair flowing free and wild. She looked as if she belonged, as if she was always meant to be.

And then I did something I have never done before. I joined the boys.

And danced.

Jade's P.O.V.

We danced for what seemed like forever, until my muscles were tired and my eyes could barely open themselves. The other Lost Boys were passed out on logs, on the ground, everywhere at awkward angles.

I yawned and dragged myself up, only to fall down again. Ugh, I was so tired, but I did not want to sleep on the ground with a sore neck in the morning.

Strong arms lifted me into the air, as if I weighed nothing. I groggily forced my eyes open, to see two green ones staring back at me. Pan.

I wanted to protest, to thrash out. He was dangerous, not to be trusted. But I couldn't make myself. His steady footsteps lulled me to sleep when suddenly I felt cool sheets and a warm bed. Pan adjusted the covers and tucked me in. Mmm, it was so warm.

The last thing I heard before I drifted off was "Goodnight, go to sleep, Lost Girl."

Hmm, I guess I'm a Lost Girl now, since I couldn't resist the flute. Part of me wanted to smack myself for being so stupid, but another part of me didn't mind.

After all, this was a chance to start over, wasn't it?