I Drop A Bomb

Life is always full of surprises. But you would think not much would surprise an immortal, but in my case, I would like to give myself a pat in the back because I think that I just gave Peter Pan, ancient ruler of this island, a heart attack. 

I would like to think of myself as a no-nonsense, strong, independent woman. And I am. Anyone who says otherwise will find themselves with a knife at their throat. I am Jade Faye, skilled assassin, at your service. My profession always lands me in very difficult, sticky situations, so I am quite used to handling things myself, through my sharp and quick wit. But, this time?  

I needed help, or my ass was getting dragged to hell. Or more specifically, I needed Pan's help. But if I asked Peter for help, he might very well try to kill me. Again. But on the bright side, he might not kill me. Maybe, just maybe. 

Asmodai had been coming to visit me in my dreams more and more often recently. The usual death threats, bribery and promises; blah, blah,blah. But I was getting worried. Asmodai had kept pretty quiet, which only meant he was concocting some evil plan, but was waiting for just the right timing. With every day that passed, I grew more and more on edge, jumping at every little sound and constantly looking over my shoulder for some hidden danger that wasn't there. 

Peter noticed it too, though he never commented on it, just gave me a knowing look. But he was growing antsy too. I caught him more than once reaching for the dagger at his side upon hearing a rustling in the bushes, or some snap of a twig, which was more often than not caused by either the Lost Boys or some furry friend. 

I met up with him for dinner today, with both of us cautious as ever, unspoken thoughts lingering in the back of our minds. I knew he was dying to know about Asmodai, but the fear of his wrath kept me from saying anything. 

But as fate would have it, turns out I didn't have to make a decision. 

After his disappearance of nearly a month, Asmodai waltzed into the clearing that we were in like nobody's business. Peter and I were up in a flash, weapons drawn and ready to attack. "What do you want, Asmodai?" Pan snarled, fury evident in his eyes. I could literally feel his frustration pour out of him, because for once he was at a disadvantage, not knowing what Asmodai's motives were. He had nothing to bargain with, nothing to hold over Asmodai's head, knew nothing of his weakness. For once he couldn't toy with Asmodai as he did with others, luring him into another one of his twisted games. 

"I've told you already, I want the girl." Asmodai drawled condescendingly, "She's nothing to you, so why protect her? Just hand her over to me, I promise I won't harm her and I'll leave you alone, you'll never have to see my face again, boy." Those pale, ice-blue eyes glittered with mirth, and age-old cunning. 

"She's one of mine, Asmodai. You're not taking her anywhere. Leave now while you still have a chance." Pan fired back without missing a beat, eyes darkening by the second. This was not going to be good. If Pan lost his temper and fought Asmodai, their combined power would be enough to destroy the entire island. "Tell me why you're here Asmodai? What game are you playing?" 

But Asmodai just tilted his head back and laughed, revealing sharp fangs that glinted menacingly in the dark. "She hasn't told you? Tsk, tsk. And you protect her still. Why don't you ask her?" Asmodai shifted his focus on me, the heat of his gaze making me squirm. Please, please. Don't say anything, Asmodai.

And then I felt it. The stirring of the ancient power deep inside me, flowing through my veins, the rage goading it on. "I was never yours to take, Asmodai. I'd rather die than go with you." I ended the last bit with a snarl, baring my teeth at him.

I felt it growing, spreading through my body like a disease, but I didn't care. Pan was going to find out anyway. I felt a sharp, excruciating pain in my back, as though someone had run me through with a knife. It's been a long time. But no matter, I can handle a little pain.