Chapter 5.

Nick's POV

"Bend your knees more Wilde!" Jack shouted to me as I stared at the rhino in front of me. I rolled my eyes and bended my knees slightly. The rhino, George, lumbered towards me, punching his fists. I dodged his massive fist as it whizzed past my stomach, narrowly missing. I kicked out, hitting his stomach and making him double over. I seized my chance and leapt onto his back, pummeling his head with my fists. George tried to grab me, but I jammed my elbow between his shoulder blades. He crumpled a little, and I slammed my heel behind his head, making him fall to the ground in an unconscious heap. I climbed off his back and shrugged off my gloves and spit out my mouth guard. Judy stood at the edge of the arena and smiled at me. I winked and gave her a smirk. Jack's eyes rested on me with a slight look of hate, I raised an eyebrow, leaving the arena.

"Good job Officer Wilde. Judy Hopps, you're up next. You will be paired with Jeff." Jack said, Judy put on her gear and swiveled her shoulders, prepping for the fight. I watched her with my arms folded and a grin on my face. Jeff was a tall, fit jaguar, if I didn't know Judy, I would think that Jeff would win. That was not so.

"Ready to go down, Hopps?" Jeff called from the other side of the arena, he grinned. Judy smiled innocently.

"I'll go easy on you this time." She said sarcastically, entering the ring.

"Are you sure you don't want to back out?" He asked smirking, the bell dinged and I have never seen an animal fall to the ground so quickly before. I chuckled as Judy raised her paw and walked out of the arena. Jack smiled at Judy, and then walked over to me.

"Officer Wilde, can I speak to you for a second?" He asked, his pale blue eyes sparkling from the lights above the room. I groaned inwardly but held it in, and instead I nodded.

"Yeah, what do you need?" I asked, not bothering to say "sir." He wasn't some big hot shot to me.

"I know you want to protect Judy, but just because someone shows a little interest in her, doesn't mean you try to keep them away. I see the way you look at me, and I don't like it." He whispered, his voice dark. I growled a little, but regained my composure, giving him my lazy eyed look and grin.

"Oh yes sir. I promise I'll be good." I snickered, after flipping him off; I joined Judy by the arena to watch the other animals sparring.