Day Five

The day was spent fortifying our new home, gates went up half way down each fissure to keep stray predators from wandering into the valley. A second story went up on the house, as well as a smithy and a foundry being built on the first floor, it would keep the sleeping arrangements warm at night, a good thing this far north.

Kabr and Skull managed to tame two raptors today, they rode them back triumphantly bragging of how they had brought them down. Kabr went out on a scouting trip on his raptor and tamed a few dilos and a trike, our walled in area was becoming crowded quickly, but it was okay, I would go from one animal to the next to make sure they were fed, while Cradix put together a few feeding troughs.

The rest of the day was spent at the smithy crafting new weapons and armor. Cradix walked me through how to craft a saddle for the pteranodon he had promised me, and built a saddle for his doed. He took his doed out on a survey of the Smugglers Pass while I finished sowing together the hide for my saddle. He still had not returned when night fell.

I stood at the gate waiting for him, watching the entrance from Smugglers Pass for any sight of torch light, I rubbed my beacon absentminded as I stared off into the darkness. If he had been killed we would have known. Kabr and Skull joined me a few moments later.

"I can go look for him on Echo," Kabr offered, Echo was what he had named his raptor. I glanced at him and then at Skull, "We could both go," Kabr amended, I shook my head.

"We know he is not dead," I whispered, I hung my head and went to our house.

"He could be hurt one of us should co look for him," Kabr argued.

"You go I will stand watch," Skull offered, Kabr looked from me at the door to the house to the thin man next to him.

"No Fang is right, if he is alive then he will make it back, knowing him he is out mining metal with his new doed." Kabr said, "You keep first watch," He said to Skull.

"You are not in charge," Skull snapped.

"No but I am when Cradix is away, you take first watch." I stated, standing up to my full height it was a challenge to him, he glared at me, and shook his head, he turned his back to me and looked out the gate.

"I did not want to leave you alone with the creep," Kabr said sitting down on his bed.

"Yes well we might not always have a choice, and Cradix could be hurt." I buried my face in my hands, "I am risking our leader's life because I am afraid of Skull," I sobbed.

"Fang," Kabr whispered, he came and sat on my bed next to me and wrapped an arm around me. I fell asleep on his shoulder waiting for Cradix to return, I woke briefly when Kabr took his watch, but slept soundly until morning.