Prologue

This story is copyrighted! Do not steal my work!

Once upon a time, in a land called Marella....

As the man read through the letter his face turned dark. The woman noticed this and stepped closer with a concerned expression.

"What is it, my dear?" she asked him as she laid a hand on his shoulder.

"They suggest that we send her to them," the man answered with a grim voice.

"They cannot be serious!" The woman started to walk around the room trying to calm down. "I will not let this happen! She is only nine, for heaven's sake! How do they plan on protecting her?" She turned to her husband, "don't you have anything to say about this?"

The man let out a tired sigh before sitting down at the end of the long table. "I think," he started to speak, "I think we should do as they demand."

"What?! I can't believe you! How can you even for a second think about letting your daughter stay with them? I already lost-" the woman stopped herself and took a deep breath, trying to calm down. "I can't lose her, too. Have you forgotten about the prophecy, about Drago.....," the woman's voice was cut off by a loud crash as the man hammered on the table with his fist.

"I do not want to hear his name being said under my roof!" the man barked at his wife before taking a deep breath to stop himself from shouting at her again. "I haven't forgotten about the prophecy, let alone about this traitor. Trust me, I know better than anybody else what's at stake. That is why I think it would be a good idea to send her away."

"But..."

"Let me explain first before you start protesting," he cut her off. "He has been trying to get to her for the last nine years. We were hardly able to stop his spies from getting to her the last time they tried. She isn't safe here, we have to send her away."

"But that won't stop him from trying to kill her there!"

"I know, but what if he didn't know that she was there? What if he thought that he finally succeeded? Do you really think that he would try to kill someone who he thinks is already dead?"

The woman stared at him with a frown. "What are you trying to say, Haylen?"

The man stood up and walked over to his wife. Kissing her forehead, he took her face in his hands. "Don't worry about it, Hedwig. I will protect our daughter. You will see, everything will turn out alright. They will live and fulfill the prophecy. I promise you that."

"Don't make promises you can't keep."