6. James

JAMES

"My prince, the king wants to speak with you," my personal guard and good friend Quentin greeted me as I arrived at the stables.

"Has he said what he wants?" I asked him as I got down from Storm. I stroke his coat and handed him over to one of the stable boys before walking towards the castle entrance.

"No, but I think it has something to do with your sister's return."

I halted in my steps and turned to Quentin surprised. "Caitlin has already returned?" I asked him confused.

"Yes, I saw her carriage earlier," he confirmed with a nod.

"But she was supposed to stay with her fiancé for at least two weeks," I told him even more confused now.

"I believe that something most have happened," Quentin told me. "I heard the guards that accompanied her talking about a raid."

"What?" I asked him concerned. I quickly continued walking with Quentin following me.

"Apparently they very ambushed in the middle of the forest by a dozen of bandits. No one was seriously injured."

"So Caitlin didn't get hurt?"

"No."

I let out a relieved sigh and thanked him before hurrying up the stairs to Father's study. I didn't wait for the servants to open the doors and rushed into the room.

"Is it true?" I asked no one in particular.

"Depends on what you are talking about," Father who sat at his large desk answered my question. I spotted Caitlin and Mother sitting on the settee. When my eyes landed on my sister, I let out a relieved sigh and rushed over to her. Caitlin stood up from the settee and hugged me.

"Are you hurt?" I asked her after we had let go of each other.

"No, don't worry about me, I am alright," she assured me while holding my hands.

"What happened?" I asked while turning my head to Father.

"Their carriage was attacked, but no one was injured and nothing was robbed," Father explained with a thoughtful gaze.

"Quentin said something about a dozen bandits?"

Caitlin let out a laugh and sat back down. "As if."

"What do you mean?" I asked her confused.

"There weren't a dozen bandits."

"How many were there, then? Did you see anyone?" I asked her.

"There was one bandit wearing a hood," she explained.

"Did you see his face?"

"No."

I looked over to Father who stared back at me. "Do you think that it was the Hooded Archer?"

"I am not so sure if it was him," he told me while leaning back in his chair. "His victims are usually rich Lords who take advantage of their power. He has never attacked a woman before."

I nodded, lost in thoughts. "It could have been him. What exactly happened?" I turned my attention to Caitlin, who looked down at the floor.

She let out a sigh and started to explain. "We were passing through the forest when the carriage suddenly came to a stop. I tried to call for a guard, but I didn't get a reply. Suddenly the door was ripped open by someone whose face was covered with a hood. When the person saw me they stared at me before apologizing. They left without another word."