11. Rowan

ROWAN

Almost a month had passed since my encounter with the stranger. I still couldn't believe that he almost caught me. Luckily for me, Maxon had walked by and spotted us. He was on one of his walks again, something he always did once a week.

It was his way of looking after the forest. He made sure that everything and everyone was where they belonged.

It was bad enough that I crossed the ogre territory once again, but to jeopardize someone else's life was even worse. Every time someone crossed the border the magical ward would become fainter and fainter. Until it would eventually disappear.

I should have marked the territory the first time I crossed it, but I didn't think that I would enter it again.

Not wanting to make the same mistake thrice, I made sure to mark the ward by digging a line along it. It took me about two weeks to finish it and then I had to mark the trees as well. I would have to check the line every once in a while to make sure that it was still there.

"So, what are your plans for today? Already feeling better?" Henry asked me.

I had just washed out the last bowl. I sat back down at the table, Henry sitting across from me.

"I am thinking about taking a walk today," I said with a shrug.

"Alright, but don't go out for too long, you're still recovering."

I had had a fever for the past few days, which concluded with me staying in bed for the rest of the week. About two days ago, the fever finally dropped, but Henry still wanted me to stay in bed for one more day to rest. But today I convinced him that it would be good for me to go and get some fresh air.

"I know, I will be back soon. Don't worry," I said.

"No carriages you have to take care off, right?" he asked, reminding me of the promise I made.

"No, I promised, didn't I?" I told him.

After my encounter with the stranger, I became more careful. I didn't just rob any carriage anymore. I didn't want a repeat of what happened the last time I was too reckless.

"Did something happened?"

I looked at Henry with a frown and shook my head. "No. Why are you asking?"

"You haven't robbed that many carriages this month. I just thought that maybe something made you be more careful."

I should have known that Henry would sense that something happened.

When I had gotten home that day, Henry immediately knew that something went wrong. I didn't know how he did it, but he always knew when something was bothering me.

I decided against telling him about my 'adventure'. He would have only gotten more worried and demanded that I stopped the stealing. Maxon had to promise me not to tell him about it, too.

"No, nothing happened," I said. "Not many carriages have been passing through the forest lately, that's all."

"Alright. How's Maxon doing, by the way? I haven't seen him in months."

"He's fine, a lot of work to do before the days will get shorter again."

"Tell him to stop by sometime," he said.

"I will," I said as I stood up. "I should go get ready. Will you be alright on your own?"

"Of course, I have some work to do, but don't worry about me. I will be fine on my own."