7. Aaravon

AARAVON

"Aaravon, come here!"

I had just walked out of the barn when Ma's voice reached my ears. I looked around, trying to find her. After a moment I spotted her standing in front of our house, a package in her hands. She held it up into the air, telling me to come closer.

As I made my way over to her, I wiped some dust off my hands. I had been working in the field since the early morning. The sun had already passed its highest stake and now started to set.

"What do you have there?" I asked her while nodding my head towards the package.

"Some herbage for Tully," she explained to me.

I nodded, the other day Gordon came by, asking Ma if she had anything for his wife, Tully. He said that she had been suffering from a bad back pain for the past few days after falling down from a ladder.

"What do you need from me?" I asked her, already guessing the answer.

"Can you bring this over to them?" she asked me hopefully, knowing that I wouldn't say no. "But you have to go soon, otherwise you won't make it back before the dark.

"Alright," I told her. "I have to fill up the water through and then I can go."

"But don't take Ryder," she said with a thoughtful stare.

I looked at her surprised. "Why not? Is something wrong with him?"

She shook her head. "No, but he has been acting strange lately."

"What do you mean?" I asked her confused.

"Nothing, I probably just imagined it," she shook it off, not wanting to elaborate. "Take Piper, alright?"

"Sure," I told her, unsure if I should ask farther. "Ryder is still outside, thought."

"Don't worry about him, I will make sure to take him inside," she reassured me. "Now, go."

"Alright, I will try to be home soon, promise." I kissed her cheek and turned around.

"Just be careful!"

"I will, don't worry," I told her with a smile, while walking to the barn.

After I had filled the water through, I walked to the small stable that was connected to the barn and saddled Piper. Once I had done that I led her out of the building and towards our house.

Ma stood in the doorframe, her arms crossed in front of her while she leant against the wooden frame.

"Tell Tully that she has to warm up a handful of these twice a day and hold them to the hurting body part. It's best if she lays down so that herbs stay warm for a longer time. The back pain should be gone in three days."

"I will make sure to tell her everything. I just hope I can remember it all," I added with a cheeky smile.

"You better," she told me with a playful scowl. "Here." She handed me the package.

"I will make sure to be back soon," I told her while mounting Piper.

She waved me goodbye and then retrieved back inside.

"Come on, Piper, let's get going." I clicked my tongue and motioned for her to get moving.

It normally took me about half an hour to get to Gordon and Tully, but seeing as Piper wasn't the youngest anymore, it would probably take me a bit longer to get there.

It was a warm day, the sun shone bright, but I knew that she would start to set soon. Time seemed to pass by slower the past few weeks. The weather had been mild as well, only a light wind blew over the land.