chapter 1

"Kailee connor?"

"Go on Kailee"  says mom from the other side of the table with a huge smile on her face.

I give her a weak smile as I walk up the platform they are using as a stage. I can feel everyone's eyes on me as I walk, which makes me sweat.

I get on the "stage" and take the microphone from the announcer.

"Toxic" by Britney Spears starts playing, as I close my eyes and sing to the music. when the songs over I open my eyes and everyone is staring at me. Just as I'm about to jump off the stage and throw up people one by one get up and start clapping, soon everyone is up out of their seats and are cheering for me.

I usually shy away from karaoke because I figured everyone would just laugh, but since I'm an hour from home, and away from everyone I know I thought I would try it. We came to watch my cousin sing, and I feel kind of bad taking the spotlight away from her because she didn't get much applause.

I shyly walk back to my seat and stare at the floor until everyone dies down. we sit through the rest of the show until its time to head home.

I put head phones in, ready to block everyone out when someone walks over to our car and knocks on the window

"Kailee?" said the lady

I look her over before answering. She defiantly doesn't fit in here, wearing nice expensive jeans and a cashmere sweater.

"yes?" I say, not really wanting to look at her.

"is this your mom?" pointing to my aunt who was in the driver seat

"no, my moms in the back" I say as my mom opens the door and gets out to see what the lady wants.

"I'm here, how can I help you?" asks mom now standing outside the car fixing her outfit.

" Yes ma'am I was wondering if I could have a word with you and your daughter about something?"

"Sure?" says mom giving me a weary look

"Well I was hoping there was somewhere a little more private where we would talk, and I would like to bring someone along if that's okay."

"I'm sorry" mom says shaking her head "We are actually on our way home."

"That's no problem, I can meet you there."

mom looks at me trying to see what I have to say about it. But I don't know what to say. so mom sakes her head again and says "we live an hour away"

"That's no problem, ill follow you." she says getting into the car next to us.

I look at mom and shrug, "I don't know her." I wisper

Giving me a look she gets back in the car and we head home.

We pull into the driveway of my big Victorian style house. I just get through the front door when a nice shinny Lexus pulls into the drive way. I see the lady with some man get out of the car and walk to the door where my mom and I are now standing.

"may we come in?" she says when we just stand there.

"um.. sure" says mom as she quickly walks inside and picks up some case papers. Moms a big fancy lawyer, which means she's hardly ever home, but she makes a lot of money so I guess its okay.

"I apologize for not introducing myself before, my names, Dana chambers. And this is David landers. " she says as we takes seats around the kitchen table.